Unexplained Rise - Help!

4 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

CheekyWaffle DAFNE Graduate
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Can anyone tell me why this food might be causing such a rise in my BG levels please? I am a DAFNE graduate and still just cannot explain it! I'm probably still in honeymoon which I know can be a bit unpredictable, but even so, I can't explain this.

Soon after diagnoses, for breakfast I swtiched from oatbran to chai pudding to avoid the massive spike from the oats (no matter what type). The chai pudding only rose me by a few mmol/Ls, no insulin or exercise needed. All fine for a few months. But the last few weeks the chai pudding hads been raising me by ridiculous amounts (e.g. from 5mmol/Ls to 11mmol/Ls) needing either lots of time, exercise or insulin to bring it down.

I have checked and double checked my carb counting but cannot find any mistakes:

Chai pudding carbs:
40g frozen raspberries - 2.1g carbs
15g chai seeds - 0.4g carbs
3g Options hot choc powder - 2.16g carbs
200ml Unsweetened Almond Milk - 0.4g carbs
1tsp sweetner - 0.5g carbs
1 heaped dessert spoon Alpro no sugar yoghurt - 0.0 g carbs
Total carbs =5.56g carbs

I am aware protein can spike too, especially as I am low carb. But the protein is low:
Can anyone tell me why this food might be causing such a rise in my BG levels please? I am a DAFNE graduate and still just cannot explain it! I'm probably still in honeymoon which I know can be a bit unpredictable, but even so, I can't explain this.

Soon after diagnoses, for breakfast I swtiched from oatbran to chai pudding to avoid the massive spike from the oats (no matter what type). The chai pudding only rose me by a few mmol/Ls, no insulin or exercise needed. All fine for a few months. But the last few weeks the chai pudding hads bee raising me by ridiculous amounts (e.g. from 5mmol/Ls to 11mmol/Ls) needing either lots of time, exercise or insulin to bring it down.

I have checked and double checked my carb counting but cannot find any mistakes:

Chai pudding carbs:
40g frozen raspberries - 2.1g carbs
15g chai seeds - 0.4g carbs
3g Options hot choc powder - 2.16g carbs
200ml Unsweetened Almond Milk - 0.4g carbs
1tsp sweetner - 0.5g carbs
1 heaped dessert spoon Alpro no sugar yoghurt - 0.0 g carbs
Total carbs =5.56g carbs

I am aware protein can spike too, especially as I am low carb. But the protein is low:
40g frozen raspberries - 0.6g
15g chai seeds - 3.6g
3g Options hot choc powder - 0.3g
200ml Unsweetened Almond Milk - 0.9g
1tsp sweetner - 0.0g carbs
1 heaped dessert spoon Alpro no sugar yoghurt - 1.1 g
Total protein =6.5g

So why on Earth is this spiking me so much?!

I have basal tested for the morning and basal is correct. I have tried Chai pudding at lunchtime instead of breakfast and still get the extreme rise.

Please, can anyone explain why? I have now resorted to taking 0.5 units of Lyumjev just before or straight after eating it which working to stop the extreme rise but can sometimes take me down lower than I would like. But why the rise in the first place when it is well under 10g carbs and hardly any protein? I don't get it?!

So why on Earth is this spiking me so much?!

I have basal tested for the morning and basal is correct. I have tried Chai pudding at lunchtime instead of breakfast and still get the extreme rise.

Please, can anyone explain why? I have now resorted to taking 0.5 units of Lyumjev just before or straight after eating it which working to stop the extreme rise but can sometimes take me down lower than I would like. But why the rise in the first place when it is well under 10g carbs and hardly any protein? I don't get it?!

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I found that my sensitivity to insulin could change hugely without warning during my honeymoon period. It never seemed to be a gradual thing, but sudden unexplainable jumps.

There are also many factors that can influence insulin sensitivity. This link describes 42 of them - https://diabetesresearchconnection.org/42-factors-affect-blood-glucose/

Is this still an issue, or has it settled down/become the norm?

Vince G DAFNE Graduate
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
1 post

When I went through my honeymoon period (about 12 months) using up any residual insulin. I found that I could manage with a relatively low basal and very low instant insulin and like yourself exercise is a very good tool too.

You seem to have your basal under control, my base requirements tend to change depending on the season, summer is lower than winter.

Now I find the morning effect is greater and at breakfast I can use a factor of 3 to 1 sometimes. With the this reducing during the day.

I also find that unexplained spikes in sugars can be an early indicator of illness, days before the event.

It's all good fun, don't get too worried and keep in touch with your diabetic nurse to seek a second opinion if all else fails.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Spikes for me, assuming your back in range after your dose is done, is all about timing.

Matching the activity of the insulin to the processing of the glucose into the blood stream.

So I would ask, are you back in range despite the spike?

If so, what kind of pre bolus time are you giving?