Using Sensors in hot weather?

10 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

Hi all, is anyone else having a challenge using a sensor in this very hot weather. I have heard from others on other forums that as soon as they put a new sensor on, it comes unstuck.

Are you having the same problems and if so, how do you ensure it stays on?

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Have just this minute had to change my Libra 2 sensor and have found that a thorough cleansing with Antiseptic wipes to get rid of any sweat or moisture and then dry with tissues seems to work. Hasn't fallen off yet, but hope | haven't spoken too soon.

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

michaelj said:
Have just this minute had to change my Libra 2 sensor and have found that a thorough cleansing with Antiseptic wipes to get rid of any sweat or moisture and then dry with tissues seems to work. Hasn't fallen off yet, but hope | haven't spoken too soon.

A good tip, thanks MichaelJ, now where did I put those antiseptic wipes, they are there somewhere in my stores I know! Fingers crossed it works for us both.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Not normally to be honest but recently my Libre has came off within 12 hours of initial application, which is strange as normally my sensors can stay on for 4 weeks..... Very Happy

I got waterproof patches to go over the sensor which has helped.....

I do think though that the real reason is becaue I have applied the sensor on to an area that hasn't been properly cleaned. The marks the Libre leaves are difficult to remove....

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Hi, thanks for your reply, novorapidboi26 - Im not using Libre, although I know lots of others are. I think @MichaelJ's help was useful, or it was for me. Have you tried his help?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I've used the clear burns bandages successfully to keep the sensors in place. You need to cut a hole the size of the transmitter, but I've been able to get it to stay attached for weeks.

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Warwick said:
I've used the clear burns bandages successfully to keep the sensors in place. You need to cut a hole the size of the transmitter, but I've been able to get it to stay attached for weeks.

Hi Warwick, another good option, thanks. Will try that as well.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

At the risk of advertising a business, I was using patches from www.diabeticsupply.co.uk . These are patches that go over the sensor and provide a bigger sticky part. They work pretty well for me when I put the sensor on my arm. I'm using a Dexcom G6 and tend now to put it on my stomach. I'm waiting for the Dexcom G7 which will be smaller and lower profile. I'm hoping I can put that on my arm without knocking it all the time ! When I had a Libre I lost several sensors that way Sad

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
27 posts

Hi, thanks marke, I had heard of that company but never explored them past their front page, but will do now based on your recommendation.
Ah yes, the G7, I'm looking forward to that one coming as well. That will be a test of my patience I suspect somehow. I'll take a look at the over patches available, thanks.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I played a round of golf in the very hot weather a couple of weeks ago and it was missing by the time I finished so must have came straight off.

I noticed it itching quite a bit so suspected it might, purely down to the sweat....

I started using waterproof patches befoe that day though as I have been finding the adhesive strength of the libre 2 less than the 1 lately, but didnt have it on that day...