Baking

5 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Laislabie DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Hello,

I’ve just baked a Victoria sponge cake and have worked out all of the carbs of the cake, comes to 574g altogether, how do I work out 60g off that Victoria sponge recipe?

Would I need to weigh the whole cake first?

Thankyou in advance for your help!

I finished the DAFNE course on Friday and has brought so much more confidence in my T1 diagnosis, still in ‘honeymoon’ stage at the moment, if only it could stay like it hey!?

Hope you are all well and keeping safe!

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Your only interest is in the carbs however they are produced be it flour, sugar, milk whatever so once it's made I would just divide the cake into equal portions and work out the carbs proportionately. At your numbers 8 portions would equate to a fraction over 71 gms per portion so a slightl thinner slice could be your required 60 gms. You can use this basic theory to work out various baking projects. One thing you will need to watch is that sweet things such as cakes can make blood sugars rise very rapidly and can be awkward to get down afterwards. I've had type 1 for 60 years and manage to eat most things but its a case of having treats instead of not as well as. In other words if you want cake then it's best to reduce other carbs in a meal. Good Luck

DEA DAFNE Graduate
Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

Just finished my Dafne online course so it's my first time on here. I've found that if you look on line for recipes they often give you the carbs per portion. Appreciate it's too late for you now but I've just looked up Victoria sandwich and found the BBC goodfoods web site tells you the Cal's and carbs of their Victoria sponge. Plus lots of cook books now give the nutritional value of recipes. Sorry I wasn't around to answer sooner. Hope yours was tasty. 🙂

Sally Mac DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
27 posts

DEA said:
Just finished my DAFNE online course so it's my first time on here. I've found that if you look online for recipes they often give you the carbs per portion. Appreciate it's too late for you now but I've just looked up Victoria sandwich and found the BBC good foods website tells you the Cals and carbs of their Victoria sponge. Plus lots of cookbooks now give the nutritional value of recipes. Sorry I wasn't around to answer sooner. Hope yours was tasty. 🙂

A good idea. I don't think I would be bothered to work it out manually, life is too short! I hope the cake was good.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I would weigh the whole cake and then weight the portion I want to eat, that would allow a calculation to take place.....