Quick Reference Guide?

8 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

NottsKnots DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
10 posts

Does anyone know if there is a quick reference guide for the Dafne principles? If not, would anyone find one useful?

Theres a LOT of information in the Dafne manual, but having completed the course, most of it is not something I need to use again (e.g. examples and exercises). I would find a small guide useful with things like exercise guidance, sick day rules, alcohol guidance etc, for the times when I need the extras that I dont do “every day”. Something I could either carry around on my phone (maybe embedded in the app?), or print off and stash with my insulin whilst travelling.

If anyone knows of such a thing, please could you point me in the right direction. If it doesnt exist, and you would be interested then post a reply; maybe its something I’ll collate from the manual and share (subject to copyright, medical approval, and any other hoops that might need jumping through Smile .

10 posts

Well, I’ve drafted my own QRG. Its not had any kind of review by clinicians, so it cant be used iin any official capacity, but if anyone is interested in a copy, post here. I’ve done two formats, one in A5 booklet form so I can just refer to it occassionally, and one in “flash card” form.

Its all the same content, but the booklet has as an example, two pages on exercise on opposite pages so I can open the booklet and see both at the same time, whilst the cards has a card for exercise with the two pages on either side of the same sheet.

I started off thinking the flashcards was the way to go, but personally prefer the booklet layout, so I have both, and you’re welcome to try them out.

Topics covered:
Hypo rules (useful for other people!)
Sick day rules
Testing, and BI & QA
Stepwise approach & Snacks, and Treating BG below/above target
Eating out, and Alcohol (they generally go together Smile
Exercise, additional carbs, insulin adjustment
Travel and driving (the travel page is based on the site recommended on the DAFNE course, plus a bit of my own experience - I used to travel, a lot).

I’m open to suggestions/proof reading/medical opinion/simplifiication from anyone.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I wouldn't mind having a look.....

10 posts

PM sent.

Lorna1984 DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
3 posts

I agree a small booklet or flashcards. I love that we have so much information to help us but sometimes you just want certain bits and not the whole workbook. Confused

Kalps DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
3 posts

Hello pm sent also to have a look please.

Ian Robertson DAFNE Graduate
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
1 post

NottsKnots said:
Well, I’ve drafted my own QRG. Its not had any kind of review by clinicians, so it cant be used iin any official capacity, but if anyone is interested in a copy, post here. I’ve done two formats, one in A5 booklet form so I can just refer to it occassionally, and one in “flash card” form.

Its all the same content, but the booklet has as an example, two pages on exercise on opposite pages so I can open the booklet and see both at the same time, whilst the cards has a card for exercise with the two pages on either side of the same sheet.

I started off thinking the flashcards was the way to go, but personally prefer the booklet layout, so I have both, and you’re welcome to try them out.

Topics covered:
Hypo rules (useful for other people!)
Sick day rules
Testing, and BI & QA
Stepwise approach & Snacks, and Treating BG below/above target
Eating out, and Alcohol (they generally go together Smile
Exercise, additional carbs, insulin adjustment
Travel and driving (the travel page is based on the site recommended on the DAFNE course, plus a bit of my own experience - I used to travel, a lot).

I’m open to suggestions/proof reading/medical opinion/simplifiication from anyone.

Hi!
I have just come across this post and would be most grateful if you would send me a copy of your notebook and/or flashcards. I would be happy to make donation to a charity of your choice in exchange for them.
Please would you contact me via email:
[email protected]
Kind regards,
Ian Robertson

Martin Brown
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2 posts

I would also be interested in perusing both your flash cards and booklet, they sound ideal for quick reference.