BG diary food entries

5 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi,
What do other people do re writing down food entries in your BG diary. Do you write a food entry in every comment of your diary?

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

I usually do four entries each day with time, carbohydrate portion, blood glucose and then insulin amount. This is usually enough information to see how things are going for me. I don't break down the food value as to what I've eaten, just the total carb amount for the meal.

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply.
please can you tell me how you set this out in your BG diary

'I don't break down the food value as to what I've eaten, just the total carb amount for the meal'

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I don't actually keep a diary now believe it or not.....

This is down to having my pump set up with the right basal rates and bolus ratios......

I do enter my carbs/food items into myfitness pal app/website in order to get the total but don't need any diary anymore, unless of course I notice a need to adjust my dose somewhere, then a quick 3 days of result would be noted down somewhere....

michaelj DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
45 posts

Sorry for the delay in response to your enquiry. I have to be honest and say that I do not use the dafne diary but have made one of my own. I would just work out the total carbs for the meal whatever the food and enter this as a number of portions so whether it's bread, potatoes, biscuits, sausage, rice or any other carb, you should still end up with a total figure, which you can then relate to the amount of insulin you need depending on the ratio you use. An evening meal for me for example could be 2 portions potatoe, 1 portion yorkshire pud, 1 banana = 2 portions and an apple = 1 portion. total for the meal is 6 portions and on a ratio of 1.5 -1 that would be 9 units Novorapid. Hope this helps.