CGM / Libre - Employer Tax Break who provide CGM / Libre to employees

5 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Joanne Oag DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lothian
3 posts

Hi
I am not sure if the details below and the link are widely known to many people.

"For adult CGM / Libre users who are employed by helpful employers: there may be a tax break for employers who supply CGM / Libre to their employees.
This information is from a professional tax adviser. It should work, but as far as we know it has only been tested by one person (who succeeded in getting CGM provided by their employer)".

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/cgm/tax-break/

I use the Libre and find it very helpful in managing my diabetes. I am very fortunate by showing this link to my employer and writing to HMRC that I am now able to have this funded by my employer. My employer also looks at this as a good way to help improve my health and therefore have less sick days etc. Hopefully this will become more widely spread throughout companies willing to help their staff, but it can't hurt to have this discussion with your employer / HR department.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

That link isn't working......

I think because there is a space between the c and g in cgm....

So would the employer pay for the meter as well as the transmitters at all times........? If so, why would they willingly pay out money....?

Would the employee need to sell the idea that they needed the libre in order to perform his or her duties..?

NHS Lothian
3 posts

Hi Novorapidboi26

Not sure why the link isn't working, it opens up ok when I click on it. If you type into Google, Input Diabetes Tax Break, the first link that appears should take you in.
The CGM is classed as a non-taxable benefit in kind through HMRC for medical purposes. (The input diabetes page takes you onto that HMRC link with all the legal jargon).
Our accountant (PAYE Agent) wrote to HMRC to seek agreement to treat medical costs and explained I am an employee with Type 1 diabetes. HMRC wrote back to confirm they are happy to authorise dispensation.

Luckily I have an employer that is quite understanding of diabetes and they did look it as a way to help with my health.
Unfortunately I am not sure all employers would feel the same, I didn't need to sell the idea that I needed it to perform daily work duties. (Although I do feel it helps me a huge amount in work).

NHS Lothian
3 posts

Joanne Oag said:
Hi Novorapidboi26
My employer did purchase the meter and sensor starter pack and now gets two sensors each month to keep me going throughout the year. The can be flexible though as I may wish to have a break from using it occasionally.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Its worth a shot for sure....just dont want to open up a can of worms and give them grounds to scrutinise my control and for example, ability to drive....