Levemir issues

54 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Hi J - here you go. These are the Lantus results. Not perfect but definitely improving. Can't work out how to share the diary with you personally I'm afraid so apologies to everyone else! M

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Okay - I'm better this morning so let's do this!

My training went very well thanks! I have the two part motorbike test to do still and my Module 1 training for it should be this Sunday. I just need to get the actual Module 1 test part booked... hopefully for next week either on Monday or Tuesday.... it's the slow bike controling stuff!

I was nervous definitely. I'd been on a 500cc briefly last Sunday so the instructor could do a quick assessment before I was put forward for a day's training on it. I've done very well so hopefully I'll fly through the test - but it didn't stop me being at least a little bit nervous!

The instructor was concerned for me but added that her other diabetic students found their sugar levels bounced up and down. I will try to keep this in mind for my test training. What the strangest thing was - I was feeling fine. Touch thirsty - but not particularly breaking out in the high symptoms en masse.... very strange.

I've updated the results (which I'll post again now) and I've had to do a sick day correction because I hit ++ on the ketones despite sugarlevels being reasonable. I don't think I've hypo'd. All this ketone stuff is very worrying to me... I wish it would stop. Sad

I do wonder if having a QA unit for that little snack I had would've done me good - I mean I had no QA on board at that point any more which can be bad for exercise... and I'm guessing bouts of adrenaline... :/ I will see what my DAFNE nurse says.

Right - let's look at your results my dear!

Wow, you are bouncing about!

Right - remember not to correct so soon after hypos. It'll help you stablise during the 24 hour recovery period (you're more prone to hypos for the next 24 hours after you've hypo'd - this explains the ups and downs you're seeing).

Also, the hypo treatment guidelines are this (since I know you don't have them to hand - how are you getting on with getting your access to the online guidebook? Have you emailed the site?):

Always treat hypos immediately
When you feel hypo symptoms take your rapid-acting carbohydrate as quickly as possible. This will stop the symptoms and prevent you needing help from someone else. Even if you do not have symptoms, if your blood glucose level is below 3.5 mmol/l you must treat it with rapid-acting carbohydrate.

Rapid-acting carbohydrate
The best treatment is fruit juice or a sugary drink, equivalent to 1� or 2 CPs, for example:

•Lucozade (100-120mls/approx. half a tea cup)
•Fruit juice (150-200mls/approx. one tea cup full or a small carton)
•Cola (150-200mls/approx. one tea cup full)
•Glucose tablets are useful but may take a little longer to raise blood glucose levels than a sugary drink. Five to six tablets are needed to correct a hypo.

Note: With all hypo treatments, if your symptoms do not improve within 5 minutes, repeat treatment.

Slower-acting carbohydrates
Chocolate, biscuits, milk, crisps and other foods are not recommended as first-line treatments for a hypo. This is because the fat content in these foods means that the sugar is digested more slowly.

1� - 2 CPs of rapid-acting carbohydrate should be sufficient to treat mild hypos (even when they occur during the night). However, once you are feeling better, you may consider taking an additional 1 or 2 CPs of slower-acting carbohydrate eg fruit, bread or breakfast cereal. This will keep your blood glucose level up until the next meal.

Table 7 highlights when you may wish to consider taking extra CPs:

If hypo occurs: Action to take
Within 1 hour of next meal 1� - 2 CPs rapid-acting carbohydrate only

1-2 hours until next meal 1� - 2 CPs rapid-acting carbohydrate
(consider an additional 1 CP slower-acting carbohydrate)

More than 2 hours until next meal 1� - 2 CPs rapid-acting carbohydrate
(consider an additional 2 CPs slower-acting carbohydrate)

I know it's hard not to correct when you're going to go over 10 BG but try not to... darn those drilled in hard habits!

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Oh, and to share your DAFNE diary with someone, you click on their username to see their forum profile and on their profile it should say something like "share diary with this user" which you click on. If you ever wanted to remove the viewer, you just click on the same place because the wording changes. Smile

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

I can't actually input multiple BG results but I will see about putting them in one at a time after this post...

I believe that whatever the illness was (probably a cold), I think it has gone now because I've had two days now of no ketones! However, I keep getting to an hour or so before my lunchtime and I've been having some serious hypos. I initially put this down to the adrenaline from the bike training, but after speaking to my DAFNE nurse again, it seems to be quite apparent that because the illness has gone, my body is now returning to 'normal' and in turn, there's too much BI on board during the day. I''m having to treat the lunchtime-eque hypos more than once so I'll be putting my morning BI down by 2 units tomorrow morning and then see how I go!

Shall post my results up now so you can see what I mean. Blinkin' illness!