Glossary of Terms

21 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Would it be worth putting a Glossary of Terms on the website? Searching the Handbook for 'bolus' or 'basal' yields no results, so I'm still not sure which is quick-acting and which is background insulin. Abbreviations could also be there, so a newcomer to the site could find out what CP or BG mean or non-medical abbreviations, like 'lol' - which I only recently found out means 'laugh out loud'.

What do you think?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Its a good idea I think............

Users on the site I believe should be familiar with the DAFNE abbreviations like, QA, BI, BG, etc............but it wouldn't hurt...........I think basal and bolus is a more general term and is used more in the pumping world to differentiate between two different dose purposes with one type of insulin. But there are a few pumpers in our midst so it would be a good idea I suppose.

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
45 posts

My daughter has just gone on a pump last week and her dsn says to remember it by bolus/bowl of food. Hope this helps. Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

BAsal..............BAckground................................ Razz

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
45 posts

Very Happy

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Its a good idea, but....
We need to find someone to do it, preferably a HCP rather an Simon or I. This is more to ensure accuracy and get good explinations, we are after all IT people, not a group known for their literary skills ( or their spelling skills Wink )

Edentherapies DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
8 posts

Aye,

When I was on my DAFNE course I had No idea what either were in reference to! Knew it was regarding the types of insuline but not sure which. Bit embarassed and didn't want to say! So it would be good to know exactly what they refer to as both were mentioned through out the course.

Embarassed

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Hi

The terms we use in DAFNE and throughout all the resources, workbook, diaries, etc are:

Quick Acting (QA) to refer to meal-related insulin, which covers CPs and 'corrects' high BGs
Background Insulin (BI) to refer to the long-acting insulin, taken once or more effectively twice each day

With multiple dose insulin (MDI) therapy these are 2 completely different insulins.

In continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) pump therapy, there is only one type of insulin taken as it is all delivered from the pump as a continuous 'Basal' infusion (i.e. replacing BI), with additional 'Boluses' taken with CPs.

Is this any help?

Carolin

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

So, no need for a Glossary of Terms, then?

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

As Novorapidboi said, anyone who has attended a 5-day DAFNE course should have gained familiarity with the basic terminology by the end of the week, however the handbook/workbook is there as a refresher as required.

The handbook does list the most common QAs and BIs in use in the UK if you're still unsure which is which Smile