Glossary of Terms

21 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

Thanks for all the explanations - of course we all know CP, QA, BG and BI etc, but I didn't know what MDI and CSII meant (thanks Carolin). I was thinking more of a central repository where any diabetes-related terms or abbreviations could be accessed to get explanations. If you Google 'MDI' you get a multitude of results - including Merseyside Dance Institute (!) so that's not much help.

As Mark pointed out, a Glossary of Terms would take someone a lot of effort to compile - so it couldn't be done quickly. Nevertheless I think it would be a useful addition to the dafneonline website.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I can start compiling one now if you want and get back to the staff with it, it can then be posted as a sticky thread......

Alan 49 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
284 posts

I think you're just the man for the job, Novorapidboi. The trouble is, we to be that we seem to be the only ones in favour of it - apart from Mark who also warned of the amount of work involved in it.

Perhaps you could start with 'sticky thread' - what does that mean?

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

the sticky thread always stays at the top of the message board and is usually locked from posting by the staff, and can be edited only by staff.............

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I like the idea. Smile Shame, I can't find a 'diabetic slang' list I saw some time late last year - I'll post the link if I ever remember where I saw it online! Some were very strange!

See the first few threads of the General Discussion section to see some stick threads in action. ;P

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

JWo said:
I like the idea. Smile Shame, I can't find a 'diabetic slang' list I saw some time late last year - I'll post the link if I ever remember where I saw it online! Some were very strange!

Here ? http://www.realitycheck.org.au/docs/DSlang2008.pdf

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

LOL
That's great Karl!
I've circulated to all my team in Sheffield to cheer them up Laughing

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Thats great Karl.......

Glut‐munching : Eating 3 times more than you need to, to correct a hypo.

We all know we have done this......... Laughing

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Can't honestly remember but that's a pretty good example of what I saw! Maybe it is!

Is it true you can buy a book with all these slang diabetic words and phrases? Would you buy it? I probably wouldn't. ^_^;

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

JWo said:
Can't honestly remember but that's a pretty good example of what I saw! Maybe it is!

Is it true you can buy a book with all these slang diabetic words and phrases? Would you buy it? I probably wouldn't. ^_^;

Internet sources are free and more likely to be updated on a regular basis, so I probably wouldnt purchase it......unless the proceeds went to DUK.......