New Meter Upload Development

18 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello,

I've had very little time to look at this lately, but want to make an effort to get back to it and thought I'd make a new thread to try and keep things more concise.

Can anyone who has a OneTouch UltraEASY or UltraSMART meter who is interested in using this please reply to this topic, and specify which meter you have.

You will need:

OneTouch UltraEASY or UltraSMART meter
Windows based PC (sorry no MAC or linux)
Data transfer cable (available for free from Lifescan)
USB cable driver (available for free download from Lifescan)

I had it very close before, but it could do with some re-working and having a group of people actively testing things for me would help give the extra push to get it all finished.

I'd also appreciate any input anyone has on the way they would like this to work. Do you want to see the readings before they are uploaded, or do you just want to connect the meter press one button and it does it all, etc?

Thanks,

NiVZ

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Yep, onetouch ultrasmart

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

ultrasmart also - if i can find my lead :-) I'm sure I had to pay for mine :-(

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Spent lunchtime today going over the code I already had to refresh my memory. And also getting my meter working with Windows 7 (need to use the cable driver from the Prolific website as the OneTouch one doesn't work - think Marke mentioned this a while back)

Going to start coding a very streamlined easy to use app from scratch with very few options. Just read the data from the meter and submit to website with as few clicks needed as possible.

I'm planning to do each part in very small steps, ie

1. get it finding the data cable (COM port)
2. speak to the meter (initialise, get serial no, settings, etc)
3. read data back from meter (just date/time, BG and comment to start with) and display on screen
4. send the data to DAFNE online (either overwriting exisiting values or figuring out the last value and only writing newer ones)
5. get it to read the insulin and carb data (something I've not tried)

I plan to release something at each of the steps above which I would be grateful if people could test at each stage. The more testers the better to ensure it's working on everyone's meter. The response has been a bit underwhelming so far, but hopefully more people might be encouraged once theres something to try out.

I'm going to keep the user interface very simple (probably just a text box telling you what the program is currently doing) so that it is easy to figure out any problems that arise.

I'm hoping to have the first release for step 1 very soon for people to try.

Thanks,

NiVZ

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

hi, as ever I'm happy to be a tester. i still have my trusty 'onetouch ultrasmart' doing sterling service for me.

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Hello

Stage 1 is ready to test and Marke has kindly uploaded the file to the DAFNE online website. So for anyone who wishes to test, here's what you need to do:

1. Install Lifescan OneTouch USB Cable driver

For Windows XP install this driver: http://www.lifescan.co.uk/Data/Resources/LifeScan/Corporate/GB/en/software/USBDriverSetup.exe

For Windows 7 install this driver: http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/IO Cable/PL-2303/Drivers - Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v130.zip

2. Connect your data cable to the PC and wait for the Add New Hardware wizard to finish

3. Download the FINDCOM.exe from here http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/FindCOM.exe

4. Double click FINDCOM.exe (NOTE: you don't actually need to connect the meter at this stage)

You wil get a message box saying wich COM port the cable is connected to, or a message saying it could not be found.

Can you please post if it works or not back here please.

Thanks,

NiVZ

Labsteward 6 posts

Yes found cable on com30 seems to work ok

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

@Labsteward - thanks for testing and reporting back. I'm working on Stage 2 Smile

NiVZ

NiVZ DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
82 posts

Another small breakthrough today - I've figured out how they calculate the checksum on the 'DM' commands (which get Serial number, software version, date/time, etc). Just need to write some code for it now, and I'll be able to tell that the 'DM' commands are being sent and received error free Smile

NiVZ

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Found my lead - is there a link to the software