Recipes

23 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi John

A heinz tin of lentil soup has a few very small squares of potato I don't even know if there is 10g worth to count but I count 1cp plus the tomato puree a bit like following the rules of beans. I'm looking at a tin just now per 100g is 7.7g a full tin 400g so it works out as 3cp. I've found it doesn't put my BG up much and in the past I've taken my full amount of insulin ratio 2:1 so 6units. I've hypod 1hr later. So I just half it. Taking 1.5 units to cover the tin of soup.

When I said never hypod I mean I've counted the right amount of carbs/ taken the right amount of insulin. I've never hypod when cooking homemade food because I've counted my carbs correctly and taken the right amount of insulin to match the carbs, so I'm counting right! I've not over estimated in my cps basically therefore no risk of hypo.

Since following DAFNE rules my hypos have reduced dramatically and that has a lot to do with weighing my food and counting carbs properly, the system really does work. It's all second nature now!

Thanks
Sam x

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

guys, Just a word of caution. I would advise against putting your email addresses in messages on the forums. Not because of anyone on here, but because spammers scan websites for email addresses to use to send spam to. Since these are public forums, anyone or anything can access them and get hold of your email address. As someone who works in the IT industry and has to battle to block my users receiving spam I can assure you its VERY annoying to start receiving large amounts of spam AND also to have your email address used as the apparent source of spam.
You can use the site private message facility to send each other 'private' messages that contain your email addresses. That way they are NOT available publicly to be accessed by spammers. To use private messages just click on 'message inbox' in the right hand menu.

john day DAFNE Graduate
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
54 posts

Hi Marke ..

Thanks for the reminder .. we all indeed get too much of that already.

Cheers, John

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

mmmm didn't think of that, I've managed to removed mine by editing the post so hopefully no one or something has noticed!

Cheers Marke x

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

If you want to share your email addresses, you could do so via the messaging facility - these are private so can only be seen by the sender/receiver when they are logged in. To send a message click a user's name on the forum then click 'Send a message to this user'

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

So what are everyone's thoughts on the recipes? Here at the DAFNE Online office (currently on a train from Glasgow to Liverpool) we are keen to implement what our users want/need. Is a 'sticky' thread on the forums enough to track recipes, or would you like something more sophisticated that allowed you to enter the info to your database, in a similar fashion to John's form?

Either way works for us - we'd just like to know what information you'd like to track/add with your recipes.

Simon

john day DAFNE Graduate
54 posts

Hi Simon..

Following from previous post, a few more thoughts pursuing the importance of including CP values:

In the recipe ingredient list perhaps zero CP items (most?) could be listed separately and so highlight the remaining CP items that matter.

Those items with CP could pehaps have values automatically derived from the exisiting Carb Counter info. This would encourage/enforce new entries to the CC info prior to adding a recipe, adding to the overall usefulness and awareness.

I haven't myself yet seen any recipes, hardcopy or printed, with CP values.. even Balance mag only seems to give Cals & Fat, so DO could have a first!

No doubt a bit tricky technically to do the item matching for the calculation, so perhaps the way forward is to build the recipe online by adding or selecting existing items with the Carb Counter, amending the quantity of each as required.

This would probably need the CC handling & display options to be improved a bit but would make the addition of CP calculated recipes easier with time for all users, CP beginners or experts.

Also the ingredient CP verification process might need to be tighter/quicker if anybody can be found to undertake this unenviable task!

Hope this helps promote others' thoughts, Cheers, John

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

Hi Guys

Not had a chance to reply to this post. John...you sound so technical at times I get lost butI have faith in what your saying. I've been using your form at home and it makes it a lot easier to look at the sheet to remeber the CP values of my meals as opposed to re counting each time!!

With regards to adding a feature on here I'm not to fussed how it looks just so long as it's easy to use. Maybe having a section on the Forums page would be better instead of a sticky.

The thing about this form would be for us to add title of recipe, CP value total, ingredients and how to make it.

Everyones portions are differnt so if you have a total CP value that individual can divide by the number of portions he/she gets out of that.

You could take some info from Johns form too to devise the form. Adding a search feature too perhaps ie search chicken and a list of all recipes with chicken come up.

I'm keen to start using and sharing everyones recipes so I guess whenever you guys get the time to do it is the next step.

I suppose you could develope it and test it so we can hava a look and see if there's anything to add remove or change.

Sam x

john day DAFNE Graduate
54 posts

Hi Simon ... thoughts seem to be bubbling here so can you advise how best to use the forum layout capabilitieis to layout(!) a possible example recipe for comment .. just using text is bit difficult, or am I missing something?

Cheers, John

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

how about someone posts a recipe on this thread with roughly the details you want, even if its just plain text. We can then use it as the basis to feed something back to you about how it could look. We can then refine it until it is basically what you want and we can then implement it formally.