Flu jab - just curious

14 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

That certainly would be a reason for me to not be offered considering I know my lungs are healthy - but the "p jab" does seem to be reccommended to diabetics but whether thats specific to a Type, its hard to tell. I can see the thread while Im replying on my phone but the name for p jab that was suggested, that looks like the words used on the leaflet I was given. Shall confirm later today. Smile

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I had the Pneumonia jab this year as well and the surgery was suprised I had not had it. yes its supposed to last for life but sometimes apparently you need a 'top' up. Better to have it than not, like the flu jab I beleive it is not a 'live' vaccine. This means it cannot give you pneumonia just as the flu jab cannot give you flu. The only illness you can get from these jabs is a reaction to the suspension ( liquid) used to deliver them. This often contains an
egg derived product and thus the potential risk of a reaction.
Go get them people its not nice to have Diabetes and flu :-(

chixystix
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
10 posts

i have it most years though i'm a bit disorganised and sometimes forget and it's never done me any harm. Flu jab definitely doesn't last for life. You're supposed to have one every year (in october / november) as it always targets whatever specific strain of flu is about that year and it changes constantly. All diabetics are supposed to have it. M x

Susanf DAFNE Graduate
St Columcille's, Dublin
29 posts

I get the flu jab every year as its stongly recommended by my Diabetic team. I have also had the Pneumonia vaccine. You need to get it every 5-6 years. I have had it 3 times in the 16 years I am diabetic