Flu jab - just curious

14 posts, 10 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

Ever since I was diagnosed in January 2000, I have taken advantage of the annual 'flu jab. I'm in my 40's. I don't know that I have ever had 'flu, but have always thought it sensible to keep as protected as possible from any potential health risks.

I wondered what proportion of diabetics take advantage of the 'flu jab?

Anyone know? Or any other comment to add?

maria51 DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
22 posts

I've had Type 1 for 16 months and have not fallen ill yet. My worst fear is the flu and getting a flu jab would NEVER have crossed my mind ! Thanks meltow for your post, now I can strike that fear off my list as I'll be having a flu injection every year from now on.

vic demain DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
87 posts

Had it for as long as it has been available, illness on top of diabetes is a nightmare and one I would personally do everything to avoid. Mine was done best part of a month ago, the doctors surgery phone around and ask if you want it.

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
45 posts

I always have the flu jab, our GP practice sends a letter to all of those eligible.

In our house 50% of diabetics had the jab, (my daughter wouldn't have it and you can't make them have it).

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I have my flu jab every year... as soon as I'm aware that they're available.

I have heard about non-diabetic family members related to a diabetic can be entitled to a free flu jab too. I had moved out of my parents' house by the time I learnt this, so I can't see how true it is any more. Does anyone exercise this or is it just rumour?

Oh! When I changed doctors recently and went in for my flu jab this year, I was asked if I also wanted to have another jab - unfortunately I don't have the leaflet in front of me, but I think it was for Pneumonia - if so, has any one else here had it? Any idea how often you're supposed to have it?

I just gave Wikipedia a look about Pneumonia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumonia#Prevention

Vaccination is important for preventing pneumonia in both children and adults. Vaccinations against Haemophilus influenzae and Streptococcus pneumoniae in the first year of life have greatly reduced the role these bacteria play in causing pneumonia in children. Vaccinating children against Streptococcus pneumoniae has also led to a decreased incidence of these infections in adults because many adults acquire infections from children. Hib vaccine is now widely used around the globe. The childhood pneumococcal vaccine is still as of 2009 predominantly used in high-income countries, though this is changing. In 2009, Rwanda became the first low-income country to introduce pneumococcal conjugate vaccine into their national immunization program.[18]

A vaccine against Streptococcus pneumoniae is also available for adults. In the U.S., it is currently recommended for all healthy individuals older than 65 and any adults with emphysema, congestive heart failure, diabetes mellitus, cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholism, cerebrospinal fluid leaks, or those who do not have a spleen. A repeat vaccination may also be required after five or ten years.

It's a bit worrying that I don't recall being offered it before but I may have been too young to remember. Has any one here been offered it and did you accept the offer?

caroline15 DAFNE Graduate
45 posts

I'm pretty sure that I had it (the pneumonia jab) when I was diagnosed with diabetes. It was meant to last for life I think.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I have had it once a few years back, but I havnt had it since, simply down to being lazy............Sad

meltow DAFNE Graduate
78 posts

Yes JWo, a few years back, I was also recommended a jab for pneumonia prevention, and I took it. I think it was called pneumococcal vaccine? If I remember correctly, one jab was sufficient for your lifetime.

Mixed in with this year's 'flu jab was also prevention against Swine 'flu. Goodness only knows which strain! All done and dusted, and no side effects. Worth it, just for peace of mind.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I think I will go back to the doctors and see if their details have been updated enough yet so they know if I've had it before or not. The nurse who did my flu jab wanted me to make the decision. :/

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Took flu jab here at work last week to save me the bother of making appointment for nurse at my GP surgery. Have tried to get one every year for the last 5 or 6.
Some insulin resistance evident over the last few days....which is pretty much what happens to me every time I get even a mild bug.

Bit surprised as this is the first that I've heard about a pnuemonia jab. Never been offered one - even though my doc is very diligent. Lung capacity very good so maybe that is the fortunate reason?

Regards Garry