"Diabetes results to you" Your help requested

15 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

I quite liked the ruler design - as it shows the scale is a continuum.

My clinic send me all my results in a letter - and a copy to my GP, I find it really useful as I keep them all, and can see the trends myself, not only for the HBA1c, but the cholesterol as well.

Brum_Taffy 13 posts

Your replies have been thoughtful and most generous- everything I'd expect from DAFNE graduates, thank you all so much!

This is a final call for using the link to register a preference- it looks like one design is well ahead, so we plan to make a decision tomorrow am so we can order the artwork to be mocked-up and then our pilot can begin.

I'm always amazed how few diabetes teams communicate directly with people with diabetes. I have been writing all my clinic letters to people with diabetes for several years, hopefully in terms people can understand (copied to their GP) with a full meds list, latest test results with interpretations and agreed action plan. It is the only way to travel!

This idea came from hearing Douglas Smallwood (DUK) giving a speech at a conference and recounting a contact with a doc who was reticent to share DS's blood test result with him. It made me ask myself why can't we get results to people BEFORE the consultation, rather than 'breaking the news' within it. So now my patients who want it can have A1c within 5 days of having blood taken (AND if the Trust/PCT agree its worth the ~50p or so per paper result, sms is free).

Whether we can do that for more than just A1c.... maybe the next project! So few of the people I see understand A1c at present. It makes me very sad and needs much work and focus to turn it around.

I'll keep you updated on progress Smile

LauraH DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
6 posts

I prefer the traffic lights.

I would LOVE to have my HbA1c sent to me by letter. At the clinic I'm usually stressed and nervous, and although I hear them tell me my HbA1c, I don't have enough time to think about why it's risen / dropped and what I need to do. If I received that letter when I'm in my own home, relaxed and ready to really think about what I need to do I can see huge benefits.

I would also like to be able to keep track of my results over time, I feel like when I ask the clinic for this I'm getting in their way or wasting my time.

Fantastic idea.
Laura.

charlotte77 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

I've posted my preferences on the Sandwell website. I also think this is a fantastic idea - there's a much stronger possibility of remembering my results between one clinic appointment and the next. I only tend to remember the anticipation of the appointment which is never helpful.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I prefer the coloured ruler design because I I feel it puts things into perspective better than the traffic light system does - but I've been a diabetic for a long time. Experience allows me to appreciate the wider range.

I mean, there's many levels to the control of diabetes, not just one point here and one point there like the traffic lights are like. Saying that, the traffic light system may be better for newly diagnosed, to get them off the ground with what to aim for.

Just my 2 pence.