"Diabetes results to you" Your help requested

15 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Brum_Taffy 13 posts

Hi everyone. I'm a doc working in diabetes care. I had an idea about getting A1c results directly to UK people with diabetes and the idea has now reached the pilot stage.

There are 2 versions of the artwork to support the project- Qu- how to decide which might work best? Ans- ask people with diabetes their view!

I've set up a page on my Sandwell Diabetes website which explains the project, shows you the 2 versions of the artwork and has a form to submit your views (takes 2 mins).

If some of the DAFNE Online community would kindly give me some feedback, I will be most grateful.

You can find the page for this at www.sandwelldiabetes.nhs.uk

Many thanks! Meanwhile, if you have any other comments/queries/suggestions, please contact me through this forum, or else use my other contact details which are also on the website.

Pete

DavidMansfield DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
3 posts

"Thanks! Your response has been recorded."

I preferred the one on the left. It just seemed to flow better - the "traffic light" view reminded me of Facebook with adverts on the right hand side & made me want to ignore what was in the boxes & I imagine someone might look at the 1 section they're in and totally disregard the other 2 sections which probably isn't a good idea whereas with the more gradual one it gives a better impression of being part of a larger picture & therefore led to me wanting to read each section. I liked that the colours behind the text matched the bit on the right too.

I like this idea because I find I can never remember my HBA1c result & if I had a letter with it on I could always refer back to it & see over time how my result is improving (hopefully) though I suppose its not hard to just note down the result when I'm told & save a tree Razz

Brum_Taffy 13 posts

Thanks David.

Incidentally, there is a sms-text version for this, but that only allows a word description of the numerical result, not pictures. As part of the project we asked local people with diabetes how they would like this info- ~60% wanted it in writing, only 14% wanted text. ~14% wanted an email, but because of local governance worries about email we don't have authority to do that just yet.

When we have made a decision on the design, we can pilot and fine tune. The bands for results are based on UK thresholds for 'action', as applied to everyone with diabetes. The descriptions and the ranges for A1c at each level are printed at the time the individual's result is added. The colours and picture are embedded on a 'personal mailer', rather like a salary slip. So the text can change rapidly, following feedback, whilst we have to stick to the basic design after we order 'n' thousand mailers! You can then why we want to choose a design that people with diabetes will find appealing!

Thanks to the DAFNE community for keeping comments coming!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Love this idea.....

For me personally, receiving my results in this form would not motivate me any more or give me more information, but the formality of this method may be just what alot of diabetics need, who are not really bothered about their condition until the damage is done.......

Look forward to seeing this very soon.......

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Its nice to see a Diabetes Team doing something so proactive and different, I wish my local PCT was prepared to do something like this. I personally prefer the one on the right. It ties in with all these food labelling initiatives and so hopefully would be more identifiable for most people. At my PCT I still have to ask for all my results including my HBA1c, this sometimes suprises the staff they don't seem to be used to Diabetics having an active interest in their cholesterol etc. It would be great to be sent them so I could easily keep a record of them all.
I think there are potentially data protection issues with sending them via SMS/email. Without being too boring and technical, both methods are insecure and I would not be happy for my personal medical information to be sent in this way. But then I'm paranoid and work with IT security, sorry.
BTW I changed your original post so people can click on the link in it and go direct to your site.

Brum_Taffy 13 posts

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Thank you marke for making the web link live. It doesn't point to quite the correct place within the site, but at least it gets you close! Please click on the 2nd 'button' at the the top of the page, 'Delivering Results 2 U' to see what this is all about Smile

We are so lucky in Sandwell- an excellent relationship exists between 1e and 2e care teams, Sandwell PCT places diabetes as one of its top priorities and funds our DAFNE programme, and the acute Trust is right behind this project too. If Carlsberg did diabetes, it would probably be in Sandwell- LOL

Incidentally, on our patch texts are already used to send out Chlamydia results and appointment reminders, so we have not had difficulty getting governance approval to send A1c in this way, but only to those that ask for it. A DAFNE graduate helped developed the designs Smile

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi the link points to the correct place, the same place as you originally posted. I just didn't put the full text on the link in the bit that shows on screen.
I'm sure you 'can' send SMS for medical info but I presume it has to be opt in and I would not but that's just a personal opinion.

Kentbabe DAFNE Graduate
South East Kent PCT
10 posts

hiya David, I prefer the one on the left as it seams to be easier to read nd understand karen

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

I think that the general public would find the 'Traffic Light' version on the right easier to understand.
We can all directly relate to and understand this simple system - which is in everyday use.
The language used as section headers on this page are more striking too and for me appear to appropriately describe the action which needs be undertaken.

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

I agree Traffic Light system more straight forward , hope this helps