Dafne refresher courses

19 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

addie
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
13 posts

Hi all

Anybody been on a DAFNE refresher course?

Was just wondering how useful they are and did anyone get any further benefit from attending.

Best wishes
Ad

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

Only did mine in june so dont really need a refresher course as yet , but what my diabetic clinic do is a dafne drop in on the last monday of each month and anyone who has attended a dafne course at the hospital can pop in meet other dafne people and get advice etc ....

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

I don't think the refresher course is widely available at the moment it is still a 'trial' to see how well it works. Its interesting to hear about the drop-in idea I wonder if any other DAFNE centres do this. Anyone ?

Benton Fred 7 posts

Hi Ad
Not familiar with DAFNE drop in. But i've got a refresher course on 1st November. I'll keep you psoted on how it goes.

Fred

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I cant see this picking up greatly, as people cant get the time off to attend..........

Constant liason with your diabetic team and a quick skim of the handbook is all it takes......

For me the dafne principals are simple, its the conastant battle with your own body thats the hard part...and this can be discussed with the HCPs as opposed to specifically DAFNE trained staff...

Jennypenny DAFNE Graduate
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust
34 posts

its been going on for a couple of years and apprantly they get enough people going to keep carrying on with it

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Yes novaraidboi, but the refresher course is not aimed at people like you. Its aimed at people that don't frequent internet forums and didn't necessarily find the DAFNE Course easy to follow. Its also not easy for some of us to have a constant liason with our Diabetic team, there is a post code lottery out there you know ;-)
I think there IS a need for some to attend a refresher course, however as I said its just a trial at the moment and a long way from becoming standard practice. There is no evidence base for a refresher course like there is the original course so it would be a lot harder to sell to PCTs and also its unclear if it will provide any benefits. Only time will tell.
I think the DAFNE drop in is a good idea though and it woudl be good if other centres could find the resources to do them.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

When you say people like me are you reffering to people with internet access...............I was given the handbook home as well.

I do understand some people may struggle for whatever reason, but I believe only a small amount.....

I agree only time will tell and also to dafne drop ins, if there were staff commited to only dafne that would be brilliant.

Jennifer Iden DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
11 posts

I'm booked on a carb counting and dose adjustment refresher course later this year, having completed DAFNE last October....

Marke, is it you that I need to talk to about being promoted from a 'user' to a 'graduate'?

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

I have not heard about any refresher course, but I have had a yearly review meeting.
I don't know if I would benefit from any review, but would certainly agree that people who do struggle could maybe do with attending a refresher course.

Given time, even those of us who have done quite well with the course could do with a refresher course, as there will no doubt be changes, and people will not doubt stray from what they had learnt.