Drinking

16 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Exactly right mate.......the alcohol almost certainly was responsible for your lows.....I wouldn't rule out your overnight basal either.....an overnight test would confirm........as a rule of thumb you should always have an uncovered snack when drinking......I don't as I suffer from dawn phenomon but need to drop my daytime basal or I go low

cargeo111 ca... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
12 posts

I personally drink dry white wine and it does not affect my blood sugars.I do beleive if you are drinking fruity wine you have to cover with insulin.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Most wines and spirits on their own have no carbs so cargeo your right in doing that, however your liver will still be impaired overnight and into the next day, so as well as an uncovered snack a drop in background may also be required....

Johnnyw DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
3 posts

thanks for the help and advice

johnnyw

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

Yes I had a similar situation on Saturday night Sunday morning 20th Feb. Nearly didn't make it through actually. Had a lot of beer, followed by a high sugar. Which meant in my pissed state I injected slightly too much insulin. Combined affects of the alcohol, meant I woke up, or nearly didn't, with a sugar of 1.8. Retaining some sense of responsibility when you have had a lot of alcohol is a tough one.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

You should never give corrections when going to bed after drinking, with beer you should inject before you have the beer or when having the beer, then snack uncovered..........