Drinking

16 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Maura
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
14 posts

Hi all can anyone advise according to Dafne rules wine does not contain any carbs and if anything you need to eat when drinking because BG drops when drinking. However I find if im drinking wine my sugars go through the roof! as in last nite pre drinking my BG was 8.3 slightly over target. I had a few glasses of wine no carbs pre bed my sugar was 24.4. I would be grateful for your views Cheers

Mark2 DAFNE Graduate
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
23 posts

Depends on the wine. Sweet wines do put the sugar up slightly in themselves, but dry wine not so much.

The effect of the Alcohol itself varies with different people, apparently. For me if I have a lot to drink (I mean 12 units or so) I do get a rise, but its about 4 or 5 hours later I guess when I am processing all the alcohol.

Nat DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
30 posts

As they say that wine reduces your BG do you think perhaps you could have gone lower than you thought whilst drinking and dipped slightly into a hypo and your body sorted itself out hence the higher reading?

claireadams 12 posts

Hi Maura,

I was told not to test my bg after a few glasses of wine because initially it'll go sky high... but by the morning you may of gone hypo ... maybe best if poss to do a 3am test and then first thing in the morning. A lot of people test their bg after a few hours of drinking and then take QA to correct only to find they are dangerously low by the morning. I wouldnt correct with insulin until the morning.
Hope this helps

Mazbrown 3 posts

Hello.

I've also been led to believe the same Claire. Although in my case it's not wine but bitter. Less of the little finger and more of the big belly. Haha!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree with mark2, it does depend on the wine, but most normal wines, red and white, dont have any significant effect on your blood, apart from later when the livers glucose releasing function is impaired........

You may want to consider the food you had for dinner, assuming it was in the evening....

If it was a high carb meal your sugars may have spiked...........also the length of time from drinking to actually going to bed would be relevant...........

Again, as mark2 says, the effects on people are different, so its really a trial and error excercise when drinking.............

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

I think it would help if we could press the Food Agency into providing appropriate labelling of carbohydrate content on alcoholic drinks as provided on other foods.

Labelling always gives you %age Alcohol By Volume which is useful to most but does not meet our specific needs.

I remember years ago when Holsten Diat Pils was launched in the UK that it carried carbohydrate information back then, but I've never bought it for many years so I don't know the current situation.

Have never seen any CP values given on wine labelling.
As it comes from all over the world it may be hard to get any interest in any inititive.
Must admit that I almost always drink dry wines and have over the years come to neglect any potential CP involved. On rare occasions when drinking desert wines I am always careful to guess! and add some CP into my calculation.

So why don't we press to get this listening goverment to meet our needs. We could get a petition together over the net and with strong support may be able to change drinks labelling.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The carb section and dafne book give the carb content for most drink, any additional not so common tipples can also be added by the users

Maura
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
14 posts

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!

Johnnyw DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
3 posts

Hi I'm a new boy to DAFNE (only graduated a few weeks ago) my control has been pretty good, but last night my BG was 8.9 prior to bed (23:40) at 9pm I had a pint of 3.4% alc beer and followed this with 2 small whiskeys. At 2:15am I tested my BG and it was an alarming 2.5mmols, broke out the jellybabies (2cp) and went back to sleep. The following morning my BG was 2.6 at 7am (so more Jellybabies) and at 8am was a more respectable 4.7mmols. Can only think that the sudden shock of a high volumn of alchol (ie the whiskeys) had told my liver to stop releasing glucose and deal with the alchol leaving my BI to deplete my bloodglucose.

Anyone else found similar or do you think it may be something else. Would be interested in any ideas