Blood Glucose Diary

21 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

What Background Insulin are you on....??

If its Lantus then you wont be able to see a pattern til 3 days later and although Lantus has known to be split, Levemir or Humulin I or similar insulins can be.......

If you are on Lantus I would speak to your team about it in more detail......

I also felt like that on my course, I was on lots of insulin, but i was also one of the biggest there too...

Its all about the background to begin with, split the dose and start with your overnight reading, if you hold steady overnight, with no food or QA inside you, then yout night time dose is right, if not adjust accordingly........then you should know how to go from there.........

Are you getting any post course advice or help from your DAFNE educators?

Maura
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
14 posts

Im on Lantus solostar 42 units at nite. Split dose from last nite to give it a try to see does it help settle down the sugars. You know yourself its just a bit frustrating when your really trying and its not working out, its good to know Im not alone and hopefully it will balance out. Cheers

Maura
14 posts

Thanks Mark2

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

If you cant get help from your team as quick as you like, just pop back in here and we can try and help.......

Maura
14 posts

My educator is off this week, I adjusted my lantus dosage last nite, I took 21 units @bedtime and 21 this morning to split. Just abit concerned having read over previous bloggs that I should have taken more last nite rather than split it in half think iv messed up!! will soon know lol

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

not neccasirly, the best way to start off is to split it down the middle, then move on from there.......thats how I done it......

Now I am on more in the evening (26), than I am in the morning (17), this keeps me in the 11-12 mark when I wake, dawn phenomonon...

What was your result before bed and in the morning with that dose...??

Maura
14 posts

Hi pre bed it was 16.8 and I took 4 QA and 21 lantus solostar. This morning my BG was 16.6 and i took 6 QA no cps. Had 4 cps @10am BG was 9.6 took 12+3 QA. Just checked and BG is 11.4. As you know trail and error. Appreciate your advise gr8 to talk to someone who has similar experiences

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Your corrections seem a bit out....

For example at 10 am you were 9.6 and had 3 correctional units, which should bring you down, according to DAFNE, 6-9mmol/l.......when above 12mmol/l you usually need more

Its much the same story with rest, but the interesting thing is that even though you are over correcting your readings are still high??

This must suggest either your BI or you need more QA....

You can see that your nightime correction was given, which is right in my eyes for 16.8, which should of brought you down on target....it didnt, you stayed roughly the same.......

I would try and avoid carbs before bed, for testing purposes and try that dose again, I expect it will not hold you steady, bump it up a unit or two and try again.......

Unfortunately you might not be able to get single figured readings if your experiencing the dawn phenomonon, but you should still find a dose that gets u the lowest you can go without hypo at night........

Once you have found a dose that your happy with you start on the QA, it would be good if you didnt have to go above 3:1 but you might need to.......

Another option is medication like metformin which helps with insulin resistance.....

I have rabbled on a bit, I just have so many ideas and really want to help you..

Maura
14 posts

Hey ur good! no worries about rabbling on, it makes alot of sense what your saying. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my situation because I was questioning myself is it worth trying soo hard and still no good results. Will give your ideas a go then I do think there is a possibility i am insulin resistant never heard of that medication before. Cheers

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Its given to type 2 diabetics who are so because there pancreas doesnt produce enough insulin, or there cells are resitant to the insulin...............

A guy in my dafne course was on them as he was resitant, metformin also inhibits the release and or production of gluagen from the liver and slows the absorbtion of glucose into the blood.

He was quite big you see, the more active your muscles are the more 'doors' if you like are created for the unsulin to unlock, making you less resistant........

Keep me posted..........if you want to keep in touch by email or anything we can swap addreses though PM......