Initial thoughts...........

12 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

If you can see my results, what do you think I should do with my lunchtime injection?

I will probably be on target for dinner but its the in between times that I cant get my head round.

Should I split my injection at lunch to take advantage of the overlapping peaks?

Angie DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
3 posts

I don't think splitting your lunchtime injection would help in this case, as you would be getting less insulin up front, and so you'd be even higher at the 2- and 3-hour tests. It seems as though what you actually need is *more* insulin up front, but if you're normally back in range by dinner, then that's probably going to send you hypo.

Is this a trend? Do you normally spike this high after your lunch and then come back down?

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

For the last few days this has been the trend....although at dinner I was just above target yesterday........

So I fear upping my ratio may give me a hypo for dinner.....

I will get back with my results later.......

Keep u posted......

Nat DAFNE Graduate
30 posts

I was of the understanding after doing Dafne that you should spit your insulin dose at that sort of level i.e. over about 12. I have found that when I eat croissants, I have to have my insulin about 10/15 after eating them as my sugars peak too long after I have eaten and my insulin peaks first. What did you have for lunch to make that high? Why are you testing after meals, are you just curious or are you feeling unwell?

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I am only testing out of curiosity......I don't tend to fell unwell at 14 and 15......

For lunch I had two rolls.....a bag of crisps.....dairylea dunkers.....iced gems....cereal bar and an apple.....so quite a lot......I am a big strong boy......

Never heard that rule of splitting above 12 units.......

Nat DAFNE Graduate
30 posts

I do start to know that I am over about 12 these days but unfortunately getting use to the feeling as not managing to stay in target either hypo or high most days. I hardly eat anything a bowl of cereal for breakfast usually the same for lunch and I might not have any tea and just a slice of bread before bed.

We were told that over about 12u insulin doesn't work so well so to split the does over about a 30 minute time period or basically some before you eat and some when you finish. I just don't know where to go now with it all!

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

I have never heard of splitting either. I also thought you don't do a correction after a hypo - but this would have made your readings worse :-(

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I corrected at lunch as I only gave myself 2 CPS.......I am going to enquire about this splitting carry on..

Cheers for bringing it up........

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

This is the ret of the results showing my dawn phenomonon..........

I think I might try and up my lunchtime ratio to 1.5:1. If this does send me low at dinner then I might need to consider splitting the dose.

I will consult with my nurses about how much and when........

Any more comments are very welcome.....

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

You should be able to see further results added above.....

As you casn see, today, the 6th, my lunch was 15..

I decided to split it and see what happens, so I tooke 8 units prior to eating and 7 units 45 minutes after the first injection.......

The result are so far positive............