Target range?

14 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Judith23 DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
7 posts

Hi Jo,

I use Lantus and split my dose to take it at a gap fo 12 hours, which has helped me, as I felt it was running out too.

As Paul, I wonder what is happening to your bloods at night - do you do any tests before you go to sleep so you get a view on what your bloods are up to - compared to what you wake up on?

I have noticed if I have a snack, and inject, when its time for my lunch or other main meal my QA wont always have had time to work so if I also corrected at lunch /dinner etc I would hypo later on? Don't know if anyone else has found this?

Judith

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

I was unsure whether or not to suggest splitting the Lantus, but I did prior to attending DAFNE, as the hospital felt that my Lantus might be running out too early. During DAFNE I went back to just one injection.

As Judith mentioned, I have found that if I snack, I have trouble ensuring that I get the ration right, as sometimes I hypo, sometimes my BGs goes high.

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

Judity - you and Paul have a valid point re- BG before bed.. but my DAFNE educator also stated that... but sometimes I go to bed early and it less than 3-4 hours after QA injection (or peak) so inaccurate reading...

Judith23 DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
7 posts

Hi Jo, yes thats right - i think thats probably why you are struggling to get a clear reading for any of your bloods, as you seem to snack regularly throughout the day and dont have a clear 4 hours between food / QA in order to see if you can hit the target range - so I would presume that you ain't gonna hit it - but your HCP should be able to advise better than I.

Just on the subject of split BI - Paul is right the tide seems to be turning, I was encouraged to split on my dafne course; but more recently my dafne nurse advised that I may want to go back to just one dose at night (wont bore with all the details, but basically was hypo at 16:30 for a few days so reduced my BI to only 2 units at 10am, leaving me with 8u at 10pm - she suggested to see how it went but I may find it more hassel than its worth to give that 2 in the morning). She said that younger people may need the split due to their growth hormones - and unfortunatley I aint that young anymore!! Not sure whether this applies to you Jo or not??