Target range?

14 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

Well - DAFNE going well, and seem to be maintaining the status quo with my background. However I am still not in DAFNE target... any tips/ideas?

Jo

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

If your sugars stay steady overnight, without any carbs, then your background is right, assuming its lantus and sometimes levemir...

The next step is purely look for a pattern in your sugars. I have been doing it for a year and I am out of target everyday. But my haemaglobin is down.

Try not to get to addicted to getting it perfect....

Post a few days up here by putting it in the diary that you can access on the right hand side, and we can all comment...........

Nat DAFNE Graduate
30 posts

Hi Jo - I was feeling exactly the same until Saturday morning woke up in range spent the whole day in range even went to the pub and out for dinner. Sunday came and when I went to bed I was 19.1 (where did that come from). I corrected and woke up this morning back in range but just cannot explain it. Are you taking your background at the right times i.e. early enough before the previous dose runs out? Perhaps you could try eating a certain set diet for a day or two and then introduce other foods to see if it changes at all!

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

Have you noticed any pattens on your BG readings i.e. morning, lunch, dinner or bed high or low most of the time.
I found it easier to notice pattens when I started colour coding the BG readings when they were not in range.
Also I use a Spreadsheet (Windows Excel or Apple Numbers) to calculate my insulin needs to bring my BG readings back to mid range. Tonight (after exercise) by BG reading was 4.3, which means I needed an adjustment of -0.85 plus the count for the meal. Currently my adjustment factor is 0.5 unit of insulin per mmol i'm outside the range.
You may need to adjust your ratio to get them in range, but would suggest only work on one at a time.

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
24 posts

Really struggling atm... stress with family and other bits....
Any ideas on how to keep them in the "range"?

57 posts

Jo,

Would suggest using the on line diary, and posting some of your readings, as you haven't detailed the problems with your BG readings. You mention they are out of the range, but haven't explained whether they are high or low. If the readings are regularly high, you should look at changing the ratio for the appropriate injection.
i.e. if lunch time ratio is 1:1, and your dinner ratio is always high, change it to 1.5:1.
Today, my BG have just been outside the ideal range, but wouldn't look to change any ratios, until I was sure that they needed changing.

Paul

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
24 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Here you go

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
24 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Here

57 posts

Jo,

Looking at these readings, I wonder if the BI is correct, as you are always high in the morning, though at times my readings are high before bed, but drop over the night, so mine, at times seem too high.
Try having a 03:00am test, as you may be having a hypo overnight which is generating the high readings first thing.
What Background Insulin are you on, as it may be running out at the end of the 24 Hours.
I have now change the time of the Background Insulin to the same time as Dinner to make things a little easier.
A lot of the lunch-time reading are only just out of range, so it seems that the morning injection is close to being spot on.
Some of the corrections may not be high enough, and what factor are you using when calculating the correction.
1 unit per 2-3mmol. When correcting, do you calculate to the middle of the range?
Your lunch-time reading on the 20th was 7.6, and is just out of range, and at a ratio of 1:1.5, I feel your injection should have been 7+1.

I use a computerised spreadsheet to calculate my injections, based on meal, ratio, and any adjustment.
Are you counting the CPs correctly? Maybe you are not counting some foods that do contain carbs?

If you have access to a computer, I could send you a copy of this spreadsheet if you think it might help.
See, sometimes I found that when calculating the Insulin, I found that manually I sometimes had some issues with rounding up or down the figures.
i.e, the calculation may consist of a figure of 6.39 and required an adjustment of 1.4, but where some of the calculations would round these down to 7, the figure would be closer to 8 (7.79).
Manually this isn't that clear, as calculating the CPs, you know the correct figures, but calculating the adjustment is what I originally found difficult.

The spreadsheet is in both Windows and Apple Mac formats, so if you would like to try let me know.

Paul

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
24 posts

I am doing 3am checks and about 10-12 ish...
Am on Lantus at the moment, have been thinking it is running out for a while....

Will try 2:1 for lunch from tomo...

Correction is 2u if below 12; 3u if 12.9-14; 6 if over 15

Will call diabetic team for some ideas... maybe levemir might solve some of the issues