chocoholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

jayne DAFNE Graduate
University Hospital of Derby & Burton NHS FT
2 posts

Am i the only diabetic chocoholic in the world?!!!!!!!!!!

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Nope, not at all! And none of that cardboard-like diabetic chocolate either, only the real thing will do!

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Im sure we all like chocolate!! Just check the carbohydrate count, and make sure you take the right amount of insulin.... and dont go overboard, Even for non-diabetics, too much chocolate can have a negative impact on the body, not to also mention getting fat!,

I love my chocolates, and eat some every other day, but i try to balance it with a healthy diet and exercise. I'd do a 30 minute run and burn off 300 calories.. and then say to my self, "Now I deserve to stuff my face with chocolate!"... lol!... everything in moderation, but the occasional "choco-fest" isn't bad I guess, as long as you MATCH THE INSULIN, and get it right.

Pol DAFNE Graduate
Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
2 posts

If i could live on chocolate, kebabs and burgers i'd be happy for the rest of my (probably quite short) life. I work for a major chocolate manufacturer and the temptation is right in front of me every day but i suppose a couple of squares now and then is ok.....at least i've convinced myself that that's the case.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Thats what DAFNE is all about, normal eating.

DAFNormalEating.......as well as helping us control our sugars its giving us freedom to choose as anyone without diabetes would, so essentially we are normal now.

Which also means we need to make the right choices when it comes to diet.

If you wanted to eat chocolate all day everday you can, just jag up..........

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Although theirs some truth in that, We still have to watch our diet, eating chocolate each and every day will affect us more then a normal person, especially with the long term complications side.
Indulging in a few chocolates now and again (even often is fine) but dont go overboard.

Yes, DAFNE is all about normal eating, but we still have to make changes to our diet, We dont go around drinking normal coke do we? and other normal drinks to?

Make sure you take the correct insulin, but sugar (even in a normal person) will deteriorate our eyes over the long term, so its not good to over do it, and especially because were diabetic, we need to be even more vigilant with our control.

Eating chocolate is fine, but dont over do it, (Its not good even for a normal person, Its even worse for us), Match the insulin. AND DO SOME EXERCISE once a week. <--- Very important to increase your bodies blood circulation and keep nerves & vessels in your body and eyes healthy.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I agree totally, I was just emphasising the dafne mission statement if you like, which is to eat like non diabetics, but not everyone eats well.

That rule apllies to everyone.................

Emma OToole 4 posts

hi Jayne!

Nope I'm with you as a chocoholic!! I assure you. Before I started DAFNE I would eat a lot of chocolate if I was Hypo. This happen quite a lot and I gained a lot of weight. But that didn't stop me. Now that I have completed DAFNE I know I can still have my chocolate without the hypo and still be happy and not gain weight as I now exercise quite a lot now that I did years ago.

Tony.P DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
16 posts

glad it's not just me! love Chocolate and cakes for that matter much to my wife's dissmay...."you should not be eating that!"

Emma OToole 4 posts

but isn't that the tagline for DAFNE "Eat what you like, like what you eat"?....In moderation of course Smile