BG diary help please (2) (mum2westiesGill diary)

29 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

On 24th you took 6u at 1023 but for 20g at 1.5:1 ratio it should be 3....possible cause for hypo at 1436?
Also try testing around 3am as it is possible for a hypo through the night to be missed and these can cause a high sugar on waking...weird I know but always worth a test!
I also wonder why you would take QA after a hypo, as seen on 22nd when you did the hypo check, especially as you were below bedtime target. I don't always agree with what meters etc say..personally in that situation I wouldn't take the QA but still have the snack.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

AM Lantus at 5 on Friday.............was that because you took it later.....?

there's not much to say really.........

still having highs in the morning, which could be down to basal, trying to see a clear picture at the weekend for anyone is hard at the best of times with take aways and alcohol.....

there is a 50-50 split between on target and off target blood sugars, so not bad.......

its still worth trying to get 2 days, at least, of overnight basal testing with a 3 am test.......so far you haven't managed that due to a hypo on Wednesday night....

mum2westiesGill 502 posts

Hi Vickyp,

Thanks for your reply.

The 6u would be 3u for food then the other 3 units would be correction dose. I use the accu-chek aviva expert meter & correction doses are built in ie it does show the correction dose seperate but then on the final screen where you confirm the dose it's all built in which makes it difficult to remember when you come to make enteries in the bg diary. Like you say it maybe the cause of the hypo at 1436. My correction is 1 unit drops me by 3mmol.

Yes agree to some more basal testing.

Re why I took QA after a hypo at my hypo check it's because I was agreeing with what my meter advised me to take. Like you say because I was below my bedtime target I needn't have confirmed it with my meter - that had crossed my mind

Hi NRB,

Thanks for your reply & help.

The 5 units of am lantus taken at 1439 on Thursday was because I had forgotten it earlier so becasue it was taken nearly 4 hours late I reduced it by 2 units.

I did one overnight basal test on 21/10 - 22/10 at 0301 it was 10.5 as seen in my diary. I was going to test again on 22/10 but had a hypo as you can see at bedtime so had to abandon it grrrrr!

mum2westiesGill 502 posts [Shared diary only visible when logged in]

Some more of my diary

Any help in identifying trends or any other help ie with targets & ratios will be greatly appreciated.

Overnight basal testing has been done on 21/10 - 22/10 & 29/10 - 30/10 - don't know if I should have done the one on 29/10 becasue I was higher than my bedtime target

Using Accu-Chek Avia Expert meter
- current targets:
for everything 4 - 7 - this corrects me to about 5.5
bedtime 8 - 12 - this corrects me to 10

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

As long as you feel comfortable at a higher level then you still do a basal test, it will still show what that dose of BI is doing.......16.4 is a wee bit high, but you done it anyway, so valuable data none the less.......

what was your evening meal on the 29th? I can make out pasta, mash and pastry also with the mention of minced beef, which could have been fatty, which in turn may have extended the digestion time of the whole meal which may have already been quite high in carbs already....

I believe this meal may have had an effect past the time of your basal test commencing, 22:59, as it was only 4h 15 m......

When I test my background, I would be looking to get 2 consecutive days minimum with a small carb dinner on both nights with no food or insulin after dinner.......

this will give you the most reliable results from which to make a dose change from............try again tonight maybe.....?

DAFNE teaches to only analyse one thing at a time, which is right, but you can also try doing carb free basal testing during the day if you have time.....

Thank you very much for this.

Evening meal on the 29th was minced beef casserole (minced beef,onions, tinned carrots & tinned peas all thrown in), pastry ( the ready rolled puff pastry) & mashed potatoes (a small portion)

If I can I will try to do another test tonight

Not got to the daytime testing yet eeeeek!

Some more of my diary

Any help in identifying trends or any other help ie with targets & ratios will be greatly appreciated.

Also any help in saying whether I should be reducing or increasing my basal

So not posted since 17/11 so the next few posts are the last few weeks of my BGs.

So not posted since 17/11 so the next few posts are the last few weeks of my BGs.