Cyborg Times (new BG meter)

155 posts, 30 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

sarahg DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
29 posts

Hi Phil I totally agreed with you it is amazing, and feel very lucky to be able to self fund. Have had a few sensors that have failed but abbots have been great. Just wish the subscription for 12 months was up a running or could purchase at chemists, as I a pain to remember to order and the post and packing is a pain.

khy70 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
3 posts

Had two sensors. Both failed within 3 days. I am afraid I won't be paying to bug test them.

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University NHS FT (St Margaret’s Hospital)
16 posts

Thanks for your input Phil. I was rather hoping to stop the finger pricks completely when (and if) I ever get to the top of the list.
Does anyone rely on the machine completely and not bother with blood test anymore?
Just rang Abbots and they still can't tell me when I am likely to get one, they can't even tell me how long on average people have to wait.
Would be interest to have a rough idea from some of you how long you waited.

NuMo DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
28 posts

I don't really finger prick any more, and felt quite miffed recently when obliged to. I find the trend history gives you so much more information that finger pricking has become more of a backup. A finger prick will tell you what your blood glucose is now, not what it has been nor which way it is going. The Libre fills in where your blood glucose has been since you last scanned and indicates its trend. This makes corrections so much easier and far more accurate.

I applied for my Libre shortly after the orderline closed. I was offered a chance to buy around about Easter time, so I supposed that's about 6 or 7 months. Keep an eye on your e-mail though as the offer is only for a set time.

sarahg DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
29 posts

Hi i am testing traditional way for driving which I understand is required by law and very occasionally when I feel I want to confirm with the sensor but that is about it.
I think my doctors must be loving it as I am not hasselling for blood sticks . So on average I testing no more than 4 times a day which is a big reduction for me.

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

Got my email yesterday to say I can order one next week!

suec DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
5 posts

I am eagerly awaiting first delivery, put first order in last week, seemed to be about 4 months from going on waiting list.

Frazer DAFNE Graduate
16 posts

Mine arrived at the weekend at last!
Not sure if I did the right thing but two days ago I experimented by testing blood using my Accu-Check machine and then trying the Freestyle Libre 20 minutes later to see if they match - and they don't! They both show levels going in the same direction but there seems to be difference of about 2.0 between the two. I asked Abbott and was told a lot technical stuff that I didn't really understand but they are convinced the Libre results are accurate.
As much as I want to trust the new system I am still not sure which machine is correct - probably neither! I think the Libre is great or seeing trends throughout the day and night which I guess is the most important thing.

suec DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
5 posts

Just put second sensor on, with first did a lot of BG tests as well to try to see accuracy/differences. First 24 hrs read 2-3mmol lower than BG strip test in Omipod, Neo and blood test on Libre reader (all from same drop of blood). 24-48 hrs still 1-2mmol lower but after that close tally and spot on at times.
If meal insulin and carbs finished or BG not changing rapidly seem to tally, If BG changing rapidly seems to have a 10-15 min lag, from the literature this would be expected as interstitial BG lags behind BG by about 10 mins.
fantastic for exercise and micro fueling to get steady BG profile. Brilliant at work for quick reassurance test.
Have used without BG test to bolus for some meals towards end first sensor as gaining confidence, still always test 2 hrly with driving but again great for a quick check inbetween!
Down load info very useful as can see effects of different food and relationships between timing of insulin and food and type/speed of food release, hopefully can make some adjustments to breakfast to take out morning peak (plan to bolus but delay some of carbs already bolus 30-40 mins pre meal if poss and this has made a difference to post meal spikes)
First sensor stayed on full 14 days and easily removed, might try a swim with this one.
Second sensor on for 36 hrs so far seems to be a similar pattern.
Brilliant for over night profile and carb free and fasting to check background profile.
definitely worth the money if all sensors as good.
Note early hrs one way out reading 2.8 on libre, 7.1 on Omnipod blood test, had been lying on sensor side ?? may have been that sensor may have been compressed further into tissues than usual. At 8 am 4.9 on libre and 5.7 on BG Omipod so only 0.8 diff Very Happy

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

I don't know whether the Dexcom G4 CGM is available in the UK. I was seduced by a special where I could get one with the parts I needed for $800 less than the advertised price and I've been wearing it for the last three weeks. The sensor is only warranted to work for a week, but at $85 Australian dollars per sensor, others that I know continue to keep the sensors going as long as they can. Mine has been in for just over three weeks and is still giving accurate readings, so I am pretty happy with it. I have heard that others can get about 4 weeks from a sensor, so I expect to need to replace mine next week.

Just to offer a possible alternative to the Abbot device given that it seems to be scarce.