Travel

15 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sven 2 posts

Can anyone suggest the best kit for travelling in hot countries. My son has recently been diagnosed Type 1 and is travelling to Greece for a week shortly. I'm worried about him keeping his pens cool and safe and want to make sure he keeps everything in one place ( blood monitor/ needles/ etc)
Thanks
Paul

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

A lot of people use the FRIO wallets to store their insulin when on the move........

you just dip it in water which activates the ingredient inside which keep the contents cool......

I suppose just like at home, he will need to keep all his diabetic paraphernalia in one place, so I would imagine a bag of some kind would do the job.

Insulin reserves can be kept in a fridge at the hotel/apartment etc...

Being a new diabetic, I assume there will be someone there who is aware of his condition and is prepared for hypos and the like.....?

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

+1 for the Frio wallet. I love mine and I've heard of people using them successfully in hot places like the Middle East with no issues. Mine has worked well in 40+ degree heat in Melbourne. You can get different sizes. http://friouk.com/

Sven 2 posts

Hi Guys
Thanks for your help
Me and Frio have just done business :-)
Travel pack, duo wallet and waterproof liner ordered and dispatched already
Regards
Sven

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Excellent.....

bookworm DAFNE Graduate
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
1 post

Been a long time since I've been abroad, but last time I traveled I was told to keep insulin in hand luggage, as it could freeze in the hold. Also, might be worth getting a letter from GP explaining about being diabetic, in case there are any problems at the airport (I think you have to pay for this though).

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

Just a caution...activate your Frio wallet (they are great) at the airport after you have gone through all checks as when travelling I was challenged regarding the "amount" of gel I had as it exceeded the 100ml limit. Ended up OK but took a lot of talking. I then began activating as soon as I went through all checks. Coming home has never been a problem.

Also agree with "bookworm" keep it all with you in hand luggage and insist hand luggage be in the locker immediately above your seat as you know where it is all of the time. You do not want somebody moving it to another location so they can keep their hand luggage in the locker above their head. I say I may need it quickly and need to be able to access it in the middle of the night! I also travel with minimum hand luggage.

Trust your son has a great time. Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

If possible take two BG monitors. I have had more problems with monitors than anything else...it is just insurance. I also purchased a large soft lunch "box" and used that to store everything (including the trio wallet). Helen

glen4 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
46 posts

A copy of your prescription with your GP's contact details will be fine! My GP told/advised me & I've had no problems!

Neville COL DAFNE Graduate
North East Essex CCG
23 posts

I have discovered through various travel experiences, (but not on a beach holiday!) that a good quality camera bag keeps insulin quite cool ( its worked OK in Las Vegas and San Francisco!) I make use of the room service fridges for stock. At the time I was not aware of the Frio option until I went on DAFNE! As for keeping stuff together: I m still looking for the perfect compact carrier: again camera bag is good but not perfect! Smile And of course NEVER put anything medical in the hold,especially when son decides to go long haul.....