Travel

15 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Looking for some help please. Flying to New York next month from Dublin and have no problem with my background insulin. Will take my normal morning dose and then half my evening one at 5pm local time and the other half when going to bed. I am just a bit lost as when coming back. I will be flying from Orlando at 8pm in the evening and then landing in Dublin at 0925 so flight of just over eight hours. Any advice please?

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi Rafa,

I have the same concern as I will be traveling in few months. It will be almost twenty two hours flight. I am planning to take my morning and night BI doses according to the local time in Sydney. That is seven o'clock in the morning and seven o'clock at night, so I will not change the time in my watch during the flight. But when I get there I will adjust the doses according to their local time but still not sure how to do that as there is a big difference with the time . I will check with my educator and take her advice Very Happy

Muna

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Without wanting to sound stupid but if my flight is at 2010 local time Orlando and lands at 0925 eight hours later in Ireland would i be ok to wait until 1125 Irish time to take my monring BI as in it would then be 0625 Orlando time then. Thanks.

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi Rafa,

I visited the diabetic clinic just four days ago and I asked about the BI during my twenty two hours flight. I have been advised to keep my watch according to Sydney time and take my usual morning and evening BI during the flight and once I got there adjust the am and pm BI dosages according to their time. For example, I will arrive at five am and usually I take my morning BI around seven so I will wait two hours then inject the am BI. Hope that helps. Smile

Muna

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

Muna A H said:
Hi Rafa,

I visited the diabetic clinic just four days ago and I asked about the BI during my twenty two hours flight. I have been advised to keep my watch according to Sydney time and take my usual morning and evening BI during the flight and once I got there adjust the am and pm BI dosages according to their time. For example, I will arrive at five am and usually I take my morning BI around seven so I will wait two hours then inject the am BI. Hope that helps. Smile

Muna

Great thank you.