33 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Rafa said:

Warwick said:
Excellent Rafa. How exciting.

Thanks a million for all the information, much appreciated. Nervous but looking forward to it. Can i ask would you stop and test the BG much during a marathon?

Again, it will come down to what happens in your training. If you are hypoing often in your training, then yes, do test often. If not, then you may find with the excitement and adrenaline, that you are a little more resistant than usual anyway and don't need to. By the time you are halfway around the course you will probably have a good idea of what your BGs are doing and whether you need to keep testing or not.

I ran a half marathon on Sunday, and didn't test until the finish as I felt fine the whole way around. I was 14.5 at the end then, so I'd had a bit too much sports drink on the way around, although I was running faster than in training which possibly also contributed. It is good to have QA available in your bag that you drop off, so that you can correct if need be before starting and afterwards if BGs have gone a bit high. Just try and make sure that the bag is out of sunlight.

If you think that you might go high, then you could have a friend or family member sited at the halfway point with QA, and take it there if necessary.

I tend to have carbs right before the event so I am starting with BGs about 13 (they usually quickly drop). I haven't hypoed in a marathon yet, although I have a couple of times in half marathons and half ironman events and it's always a pain sitting out for 15 minutes while the BGS go back up.

The TRUE Result Twist is a good BG meter for testing during events although not sure if it is available in the UK. It is nice and small, and you can test while walking so you don't lose too much time.

I reviewed it here last week:

http://needcarbs.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/meters-reviewed-nipro-trueresult-twist/

If you can get hold of one, then I recommend it for taking with you as you exercise.

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Warwick said:

Rafa said:

Warwick said:
Excellent Rafa. How exciting.

Thanks a million for all the information, much appreciated. Nervous but looking forward to it. Can i ask would you stop and test the BG much during a marathon?

Again, it will come down to what happens in your training. If you are hypoing often in your training, then yes, do test often. If not, then you may find with the excitement and adrenaline, that you are a little more resistant than usual anyway and don't need to. By the time you are halfway around the course you will probably have a good idea of what your BGs are doing and whether you need to keep testing or not.

I ran a half marathon on Sunday, and didn't test until the finish as I felt fine the whole way around. I was 14.5 at the end then, so I'd had a bit too much sports drink on the way around, although I was running faster than in training which possibly also contributed. It is good to have QA available in your bag that you drop off, so that you can correct if need be before starting and afterwards if BGs have gone a bit high. Just try and make sure that the bag is out of sunlight.

If you think that you might go high, then you could have a friend or family member sited at the halfway point with QA, and take it there if necessary.

I tend to have carbs right before the event so I am starting with BGs about 13 (they usually quickly drop). I haven't hypoed in a marathon yet, although I have a couple of times in half marathons and half ironman events and it's always a pain sitting out for 15 minutes while the BGS go back up.

The TRUE Result Twist is a good BG meter for testing during events although not sure if it is available in the UK. It is nice and small, and you can test while walking so you don't lose too much time.

I reviewed it here last week:

http://needcarbs.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/meters-reviewed-nipro-trueresult-twist/

If you can get hold of one, then I recommend it for taking with you as you exercise.

Thanks a lot. Apreciate all the information.

jae0212 DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Geelong, Victoria
3 posts

Hi Hannah - i think your liver is putting out glycogen so that means you could perhaps take more CPs before your run or your liver will keep pumpimg out the stuff.How are your BG's over the other parts of the day ? It's a good idea to look @ a whole day rather than a little slice. Wich reminds me I best ready myself for dinner !Good luck Hanna