Exercise & BG levels

33 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

hannahdefries DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
12 posts

HELP.. please Surprised)
I exercise 5 out of 7 mornings each week and i can not get my levels to run okay.. I am following the dafne principles of 2-3 or 1-2 cp before exercising and when i come home from exercising and go to have my breakfast my levels are between 11 and 14.. Can anyone help or does anyone have any suggestions?

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
109 posts

Hello Hannah,
Looking at previous posts for similar issues I think you may need a little QA before exercising which seems totally wrong but I remember my Consultant discussing it my Annual DAFNE meet up a few months back and he said the same.

See comments from WARWICK in the previous post
Increased blood glucose after exercise

Hope this helps Very Happy
Anele.

South West Essex PCT
12 posts

I am still so confused, I woke at 6:10am to go for a run, my BG was 4.6, I ran 2.5 miles (drank around 100ml lucozade before my run), when i got home I then went to have breakfast and my BG was 14! Sad

South West Essex PCT
12 posts

How much would you say a 'little' QA would be? I went swimming yesterday morning and was 9.1 before, then around 13 when i got home.. I did give myself 2 QA before my swim too.

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
109 posts

hannahdefries said:
I am still so confused, I woke at 6:10am to go for a run, my BG was 4.6, I ran 2.5 miles (drank around 100ml lucozade before my run), when i got home I then went to have breakfast and my BG was 14! Sad

Hi Hannah, sorry my post didn't help Sad

Warwick talks about Anaerobic exercise increasing your BGs after exercise and Aerobic exercise decreasing BGs after exercise. Not sure where your 2.5 mile run fits in between Anerobic and Aerobic but I guess it depends on how strenuous your run was...

I had a quick look on the web for the definitions (fitness19.com)

Anaerobic Exercise: Anaerobic exercise is very high intensity or at your maximum level of exertion. Examples include sprinting and weight lifting.

Aerobic Exercise: Common types of aerobic exercise include running at a comfortable pace (you should be able to talk without breathing too hard), swimming, and biking.

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
109 posts

hannahdefries said:
How much would you say a 'little' QA would be? I went swimming yesterday morning and was 9.1 before, then around 13 when i got home.. I did give myself 2 QA before my swim too.

I'm not sure to be honest as everyone's bodies react differently to exercise and QA and BI.
I guess it's a case and trial and error till you find the ratios of QA/BI and CPs and exercise that works.
I'd discuss it with your DSN or consultant for extra advice but it may be a case of keeping a diary of it to build up a picture of it and see trends to help get the best for you. Obviously it seems wrong and scary to be taking QA before exercise hence I'd always always exercise caution when doing so.

South West Essex PCT
12 posts

Thanks for all your help, So even if i test before exercise and i am running at 5 for example, I should still maybe have some QA before exercise?

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
109 posts

hannahdefries said:
Thanks for all your help, So even if i test before exercise and i am running at 5 for example, I should still maybe have some QA before exercise?

Hi Hannah, I'm not sure to be honest as I'm not a HCP but going from one of your earlier posts you said you were 4.6 before your run which rose to 14 so going by that I would say you should take some. I reckon your best bet is to err on the side of caution and take 1 or 2 units before and make sure you have carbs during, before and if you can take your meter with you so you can test during or if you feel low. Keeping a record of how much exercise, carbs and QA and BI will give you an idea on how your body reacts to the types of exercise. Obviously this will not always be set in stone as diabetes can still be unpredictable. Also something to keep in mind or might help is to think about how 1 unit of QA affects your BG? How much does it tend to lower it by might help you decide how much you need too. Like I say I would recommend you seek some advice from your DSN, GP or consultant.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive clear answer as everyone's BGs react differently with exercise QA and carbs.

Hope you get the regime for you worked out Smile
Good luck x

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
422 posts

Hi Hannah,

Welcome to the wonderful world of diabetes and exercise. It is rewarding when it works, but can be frustrating to get right too.

It would be helpful to get some more information from you about your exercise and insulin regimes. Is it possible to get you to share your diary with me? Click on the "Users" link on the orange Menu bar at the top of this page, type ws130583 in the "Find a User" search bar to the right, click on "Warwick", and then click on "Share my diary with this user".

You could also share the last 15 days of your diary with this forum, which gives everyone the chance to see what is going on.

Can you please let me know the following?

1) What QA do you take?

2) What basal insulin do you take?

3) When do you take them?

4) Are you doing hard, quick runs, or gentle slow jogs?

5) On the days that you don't exercise, do your blood glucose levels rise anyway even without exercise or do they stay fairly stable?

6) Have you recently started exercising, or have you been doing this for a while?

7) Is this a new thing that your BGLs rise after exercise or is this fairly normal for you?

Once we know that, it all becomes a little easier to make helpful suggestions.

Cheers,
Warwick.

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
109 posts

Warwick said:
Hi Hannah,

Welcome to the wonderful world of diabetes and exercise. It is rewarding when it works, but can be frustrating to get right too.

It would be helpful to get some more information from you about your exercise and insulin regimes. Is it possible to get you to share your diary with me? Click on the "Users" link on the orange Menu bar at the top of this page, type ws130583 in the "Find a User" search bar to the right, click on "Warwick", and then click on "Share my diary with this user".

You could also share the last 15 days of your diary with this forum, which gives everyone the chance to see what is going on.

Can you please let me know the following?

1) What QA do you take?

2) What basal insulin do you take?

3) When do you take them?

4) Are you doing hard, quick runs, or gentle slow jogs?

5) On the days that you don't exercise, do your blood glucose levels rise anyway even without exercise or do they stay fairly stable?

6) Have you recently started exercising, or have you been doing this for a while?

7) Is this a new thing that your BGLs rise after exercise or is this fairly normal for you?

Once we know that, it all becomes a little easier to make helpful suggestions.

Cheers,
Warwick.

Thanks David, was hoping you could assist Hannah from your previous posts regarding exercise Smile
Cheers,
Anele.