How good is dafne

24 posts, 16 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Tony.P DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
16 posts

I did DAFNE/pump pilot course in January, have since had to give the pump back as it was part of the trial. I was 8.7 down to 8.5 so not a big drop. I am still going with the DAFNE as my levels have jumped up since coming off the pump so am trying to get them back down, I recomend the course it really does help.

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

I completed my DAFNE course April 2009, and my HBA1C reading for the course was 9.0.
Just had a DAFNE review and the most recent HBA1C was 6.9, so it's a big drop in a year. Overall I think DAFNE has made maintaining my diabetes a lot easier, and I have regained some of my hypo awareness too.
Alcohol and exercise is still a little difficult to get right, but will keep practicing until I get it right. If anyone isn't sure about DAFNE, it is worth it, believe me.

Harry1974 DAFNE Graduate
Heart of Birmingham PCT
1 post

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I just completed my DAFNE week this Friday. I have been diabetic for 13 years and it was a real revelation to undergo the training. Nobody had ever taught me about Dose adjustment before. I can understand now why it is a legal requirement (as someone posted earlier) in Germany for diabetics to train in DAFNE.

I am very positive about the future. My QA insulin is now anything between 25% to 50% of what I would have taken before DAFNE week and my BG seems to be within target with only an occasional correction required.

I now feel full of energy compared to just 8 days ago and am increasing my activity which is only going to help my diabetes control.

In my view DAFNE is GREAT!!!

Regards

Harry

Jo Penn DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
24 posts

For me - this has been a life saver... feel fantastic losing about 2kg a fortnight too..
reduction in QA ; hopefully reduction in HBA1c