How good is dafne

24 posts, 16 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Fay DAFNE Graduate
Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust
4 posts

Hi Vic

Must admit I test my BG more than 4 times per day if I feel I need to. Have been having some highs myself and have been testing up to 7 times a day as have changed my Lantus from 17:30 to 21:00 and found some time ago that it doesn't last 24 hours for me. Whilst having problems, my DSN told me to test during the night between 2-6 am but at diffent times to see if I was hypoing. She said that my BG shouldn't be below 4.5 during the night. May be worth you checking for a week too, just to see. Wonder if it would help you to have 21 units of Lantus. I use an Autopen 24 (green coloured) for my Lantus that goes up in single units.

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Vic, I am shocked your were told only to do 4 test per day. I was told to test as many times as necessary and to test more if I'm ill or changing ratio's etc. I was never told that there was 'no need to do more'. If ever you feel low then do a test regardless of the number you have done already.
With regards to hypos, it does sound like your background was not correct. I suspect the morning high results are due to the 'dawn phenomenon' (see posts in 'Questions for HCPs' forum), I like probably many other people have the same issue with morning BG's. The problem is BI is probably not going to fix the issue. I won't replicate the discussions here as it has been covered on the other forum. Is it possible to split Lantus into two doses ? Maybe a question for your Diabetes team, I am on Levimir and find it much better now I have split it too two doses one in the evening and one in the morning. I know BI is supposed to be largely even over 24 hours but the reality is often different and splitting it may help resolve the issue, but thats something to decide on advice from experts ( rather than other graduates)

Rachie Wilson 9 posts

Hi

I have been on DAFNE since the middle of Jan this year and my HBAC1 was 8.3 just had my HBAC1 done again and it has come down to 6.6 which I am really please about. I really didn't think i would be able to get my HBAC1 down as i always seemed to stick between 7.7-8.3 and have been now for the last two years. Thanks to going on DAFNE i have managed to get it back into target.

vic demain DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
87 posts

Hi,

I have probably worded it wrong. We were told on the course that there shouldn't be the need to test more than four times per day, and not to test just for the sake of it. Of course if one feels low then it would be natural to test and confirm.
Not concerned about my Lantus running out before the 24 hrs, as I have morning hypo's as well as the occasional high. Fay, I think a one unit adjustment pen would be good for me thanks.
Rachie, glad all is going well for you and congratulations on the great results. Given such low overall figures, do you suffer many hypo's?

Regards, Vic.

Rachie Wilson 9 posts

Hi Vic

I do suffer from some hypo's but i usually know when my bloods are dropping as i get really bad headaches. Mine tend to be mid morning or mid afternoon but I have only been on DAFNE since Jan so still a bit of trial and error to be honest. I also do tend to get high's on a morning only and then for the rest of the day I am fine. I really didn't expect my HBAC1 to have dropped that much in such a short time but i am really pleased that it has. I am back for a review tomorrow with the group that did DAFNE in Jan so i am really looking forward to seeing how everyone else is doing.

louise russell DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Barking and Dagenham)
2 posts

i did the dafne course in feb this year and i found it really good. it made me understand my diabetes more. i have been a diabetic for nearly 28 years. i think i got stuck in to how i managed my diabetes from when i was first told i had diabetes. the dafne course really opened up my eyes. since doing dafne i have lost nearly 2stone in weight. my hbc1 has dropped down. my hypos are very rare now. i might have a hypo if i have not eaten enough.

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

I believe that all Type 1 Diabetics should BY LAW be forced to do DAFNE, They do this in germany, If your diagnosed with Type 1, You spend 2 weeks in hospital learning DAFNE, Its the LAW in Germany.
I think they should do this here, Maybe not in hospital, But force employers to give PAID time off for people to do this, High BG can show in your work (low concentration, forgetfulness and generally being "Tired" all the time), so It can help employers AND the government to save money in the long term by not having to treat common complications of diabetes which costs alot more then doing this DAFNE course.

It really helped me, Despite what you know, Im sure EVERYONE will learn something new.

For me, It was the Alcohol Related stuff and the Sick day stuff was very useful, (Im always ill, I have a very poor immune system I think, and catch colds and the flu easily).
Also, (if im honest) the Drug related stuff as well, I've smoked marijuana occasionally with friends and stuff in the past, and noticed it didnt have a affect on my BG (positive or negative affect) but it was nice to have it confirmed, Again, everything in MODERATION, I exercise 7 times a week, one day Cardio-Vascular and one day Muscular and alternate this. (So I dont need any lectures if your planning on giving them!)

Also, the little CP Handbook they gave was very useful plus looadds of other stuff, like the ability to ask questions that trained people know the answers to and the helping out with prescriptions and stuff, REALLY ACE!

Highly recommend, and IF you know ANYONE who is a Type 1 Diabetic, Recommend them to this course, I even told my GP the same thing "Anyone who's Type 1, MUST... I repeat MUST go on this course, WITHOUT FAIL", Its really important for their health and general well being.

Tips for AFTER DAFNE

• Practice It DAILY until it becomes a habit, It may seem daunting, but Its very easy, and will help for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, it is a SKILL FOR LIFE, and like all skills, Practice = Perfection.
  • Review your progress weekly when your free, (Sitting in front of the TV or something, bring your DAFNE BG book out and see what happened and when, Did you go out?, Did you do exercise? etc)
  • If you have any questions or problems.... Post them on this Forum! The best people to ask are US, We all have gained experience through practice. If your ever worried about something... JUST ASK!!
  • EXERCISE!!!... (I know this isn't a "Tip", But its really important for us to exercise regularly, This will help with blood circulation (which improves nerve growth & repair, and reduce nerve damage) and generally help to prevent any long term complications.
  • Treat yourself every now and again for excellent BG control, This helps reinforce what you've learned and practiced and will also motivate you (Sub-conciously even) to make it into a habit.
  • And last one... Practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!... <--- This is very important, (I know I said it already!, But its THAT important) don't under-estimate it, take the time to know what your doing and review it every so often (Make changes were necessary)

• Anyone else, feel free to share your own! Very Happy

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
    NHS Lanarkshire
    1,819 posts

I am noticing alot of graduates are losing weight.....I have not actually wieghed myself but my gut and man boobs look the same to me.......

Also alot of people who have done dafne, both on here and the others in my classroom have normal good control (in terms of haemaglobin), which confused me to why they were on the course.

I realiased that people need help to control the condition in both directions.....

My pre dafne HbA1c test was 11.8, 0.2 below the maximum allowed, everyone else was below 8, how was everyone elses pre dafne tests, was I the only truly badly controlled one out there.....

My last test was 8.0, Happy Days..........

meltow DAFNE Graduate
    Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
    78 posts

First post - here goes!
    Type 1 diabetes from January 2000; DAFNE in November 2008.
    For me the most enlightening part of DAFNE was actually being able to put a bit of practical maths behind the amount of Novarapid I took with my meal. Before being educated with DAFNE, I had reasonable control, but looking back, it was luck rather than anything else. Knowing my ratio and how to count carbohydrates within any foods I choose to eat, is a complete revelation, and one which does work for me. Although like anyone, I can sometimes have a snack which doesn't always get accounted for! We are only human....
    I had never encountered "adjustment" doses of insulin prior to DAFNE, so again, that is a useful tool to have in my locker. I also felt DAFNE was a complete revision course about the condition, which is no bad thing. Plus I like to be responsible for my own health and well-being so far as I can, and DAFNE has allowed me to do that.
    So far, so good, and would happily recommend the course to anyone

Rachie Wilson 9 posts

Hi I have being doing DAFNE now since January this year and I just had my second HBA1c done and it is now 6.2. Since doing DAFNE my HBA1c has come down the the 8's and now seems to be sticking in the 6's.