Exercise classes and type1?

41 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

thebatoutofhull DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
60 posts

Hi. I am wondering what type of exercise you all do? I don't have a specific exercise regime, do you and what is it? and how do you find it? I could do to lose a few (quite a few) pounds +. I don't know if this is related but was put on Lantus a year ago from Insulatard and gained 2 1/2 stone. Bloods no better or worse than before. Thanks.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I do martial arts training once a week for 2 hours.............so light to moderate, sometimes intense activity levels................

Its Wing Chun Kung Fu, so not intense as Thai Boxing for example..........

I need to do more though, to lose some weight, but I just cant get motivated to go to a gym. I have started extending the dog walking time and choosing up hill routes...........and of course cutting calories.........

Sorry, I am rambling.........

Regarding your Lantus, I wouldn't say for sure its related............

Is your Lantus dose significantly more than your Insulatard?

If so, I would do some basal testing.........

Alan Jock Ni... DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
19 posts

My hobby is Hill walking (Munros and Wainwrights) and at the moment I'm in training for The West Highland Way in early April.

At the moment I do 2 sessions on the Cross Trainer, one 20 minute session first thing in the morning and a 30 minute session early evening, it's not long but it is intense. my BG can drop from 9 to 5 in one session, I don't always take a CP (depending how high my BG is) but if I do its no more than 2 CP.

I done a 15,5 mile walk last sunday, my bed time BG was 9.5 but 3 hours later I was Hypo. This Saturday I will be doing a 20 mile hike around Arrachor, I will reduce my QA by half that day to see how I get on after the walk.

I find the exercise on the Cross Trainer is helping my BG along with DAFNE.

I am also on Lantus, have been for about 9 years but can't say I have gained weight because of it, a heathy diet and exercise will be good for you and your diabetes.

I recommend everyone do a little daily exercise, you will be surprised how much it helps your BG

Alan

60 posts

I am concerned about having to eat more to stave off hypos. My carb intake is pretty low in the daytime as it is. Eating then negates the effects of exercise? I could do to know a good way of losing weight through diet and exercise. any more experiences or ideas. Thanks

JennyNZ 29 posts

Have to say, I stopped any regular exercise after I did the Dafne course - I couldn't get my head around it and I find their approach is very generalised. Before dafne I was doing triathlons and at one stage training for Ironman. Carbs are the base for any decent training - and this applies to all athletes. We were told to have (for sessions over 2 hours) the equivelant of your weight in grams of complex carbohydrate per hour. I had 60 gr/hr for long training or racing. shorter and easier than that, you shouldn't need any because you have glycogen stores. this of course doesn't hold true for us T1's necessarily - because we are balancing insulin etc.
I dont think eating ever negates exercise (apart from calories) because the benefit to your body is more than just burning a few calories. I'm not a particularly good athlete so things take me a while. I did a 100km bike ride and consumed about 6ogr carbs/hr x 4 1/2 hours = 300 gr carbs. the race took me 4 1/2 hours.

Anele46 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
109 posts

Hello,
I find that cycling seems to work best (for me).
Prior to being a diabetic I used to go to the gym 2-3 times a week for an hour but since being on DAFNE my BGs are a lot more stable and of course the weight (for me) is harder to lose.

I used to look at how much exercise and calories I burned at the gym compared to how much CPs I needed to eat or drink to stop hypos and thought "what's the point as the extra CPs is negating the exercise and thus I am not going to lose any weight" Mad

I have since taken up cycling and bought an exercise bike for the winter months and find that an hour of cycling drops my BGs 3-4 so If I inject a unit less of QA at my meal prior to exercise (lunch as normally cycle once I get home from work around 5ish) then I don't need to take much, if at all any CPs and it seems to be making a difference.
Looking forward to the better weather for cycling to/from work although it is so much quicker to get home from work in the car Sad
Certainly, from my DAFNE course last year I was advised to inject less QA (I'm on Novorapid) prior to exercise.
Hope this helps Smile

Good luck!
Cheers,
Anele.

60 posts

Thanks Anele.

barneybubbles DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
7 posts

thebatoutofhull said:
Hi. I am wondering what type of exercise you all do? I don't have a specific exercise regime, do you and what is it? and how do you find it? I could do to lose a few (quite a few) pounds +. I don't know if this is related but was put on Lantus a year ago from Insulatard and gained 2 1/2 stone. Bloods no better or worse than before. Thanks.

I go to the gym three times a week and test myself before and after exercise. I also went to weight watchers and lost a stone within three months. the two combined ie exercise and diet seem to work, but no slacking is allowed!

barneybubbles DAFNE Graduate
Essex Partnership University Trust (South East)
7 posts

thebatoutofhull said:

I go to the gym three times a week and test myself before and after exercise. I also went to weight watchers and lost a stone within three months. the two combined ie exercise and diet seem to work, but no slacking is allowed! Very Happy

60 posts

Barneybubbles; how do you adjust for the gym? What are your results like? I have a gym about 1/2 hour away but now the weather is brightening up I will spend a lot of time hopefully working outside. I'm a little apprehensive about changing my routine.