Ratios

11 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Minesh Patel DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
4 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

im a bit confused how to use ratios, i been using 1:1 not sure about other ratios an when i need to use

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Hi Minesh

I'm looking at your results and thinkin mmm where are the problem BG, think back to the stepwise approach, monitor see a pattern make the change! I'm assumming you're on lantus or a 24 hour BI. Personally I think it's your background maybe reduce by 20-30%. You're only on a 1:1 ratio and it seems your climbing after your hypos because maybe your over correcting - too much lucozade? Are you eating extra CPs at night because you think you're going to hypo in the morning which could explain your high readings in the mornings from the 29th onwards. Hope that maybe helps you if in doubt speak to your nurse.

Sam x

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
23 posts

I think a chat with your Dafne educator would be the most sensible action. However, reducing the number and frequency of the hypos should be the priority. I would suggest split the BI and reduce it (maybe 7 in the morning and 7 in the evening). There is evidence in your diary of the BI running out. You definitely need to reduce it. The multiple hypos are confusing the patterns.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

Don't want to sound like I'm causing a battle between folk giving you advice but if your BI was running out you would be having high BG not low, there's too much insulin in your body and you need to reduce you BI, again spilting your BI would be recommended if your readings were high as then you could say your BI is running out. The evidence shows it's your BI. I think you may end up being confused as to what does what.

Sam

ann-marie
South East Kent PCT
3 posts

Hi,
not sure about protocol of DAFNE educators joining discussions, so I apologise if it's not ok. Just feel that Sam's advice is good. usually wouldn't have less than a 1:1 ratio, so if you are still hypoing on these ratios and they aren't related to exercise etc, the first step to take would be to try reducing BI. You may then find that once hypos have stopped higher levels stop, or that you may need to increase some of your ratios (one at a time! and by 1/2 ie next step would be 1.5:1). I am sure your Dafne educator would also be happy to help.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

I would say it was beneficial for HCPs to get involved everyone has an opinion and bascially this is what this site is for, for us to share our stories and to get advice along the way.

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Sam's hit the nail on the head here - this site is for people to share and help each other. This extends to not only people who have completed the course, but DAFNE Educators, Doctors, Friends, Family - pretty much everyone who is involved in one way or another.

If you look at a users's name you can see what their 'level' is - regular users are in black, DAFNE Graduates are in blue, HCPs are in orange and site admins (mark and myself) are green. This helps to see what the background of anyone in the forums is, so bear that in mind when acting on advice.

But this is great to see - keep up the good work guys!

Simon

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
23 posts

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but 3 mornings out of 3 the BG's are high and there are multiple hypos all day. I'm a big advocate of splitting the BI. I still maintain split the BI and reduce it. Although a night time hypo could give a morning high as well.

Sam DAFNE Graduate
64 posts

I think Minesh needs to come on and tell us whether he/she is over treating hypos therefore the higher readings in the morining, and or hypos due to exercise etc or eating extra CPs at night due to the fear a hypo in the morning and yes the possibility of hypo at night hence higher readings. It's good to see different views and I'm not saying I'm right in the advice I give it's how I'm reading it from the evidence so please don't think I'm having a go...I'm not!

Sam

DavidJ DAFNE Graduate
23 posts

Everyone
Of course you're right. One change at a time. Minesh should eliminate the hypos first and once they're gone or at least reduced then make any further changes if required.