1/2 units

8 posts, 5 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Is there a way of not having half units in the qa calculation as my pen is full units only

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

If you want to add the difference to your diary, just add a + or a - and round it accordingly.
I am on funny ratios myself and use a half unit pen due to insulin sensitivity, so I find myself doing the + and - thing all the time.

eg. say you take 0.5:1 ratio... you would input to round it to the nearest unit:

15CP
0.8+0.2 QA
so 1QA taken.

It does complicate it's appearance but it helps you realise you're taking a correction.. or not, depending on if you want to round up or down.
Is this explanation okay?
Best wishes! Smile

Karl DAFNE Graduate
83 posts

I have no issue with having to do this but the calculation already rounds it

eg 8.4 @1.9:1 (strange ratio but found 2:1 just too much)

will give 15.5 while if you do the maths its 15.96

It looks like it always rounds down

Will continue doing the maths myself

PS hope that's 1.5CP in your example Very Happy

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

LOL yes! Well spotted! Smile 1.5CP not 15CP lol

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi Karl,

Do you mean in the iPhone app? You can do this in the settings page, tap the Auto Calculate option and then set the Round Corrections To option to 1.

Simon

Karl DAFNE Graduate
83 posts

Hi Simon

Yes that's what I mean but when I looked it is set to round to 1 but calculates to .5.

If I'm trying the correct thing as it says round corrections - I'm getting the .5 on the standard calculation - correction looks OK

Politikaal DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
6 posts

Hi Karl,
I have this problem too, I am not as insulin sensitive as you it sounds and I love whole numbers. If you see the examples below from a dinner and before bed my CP's are both half values so at a ratio of 1:1 my QA is also calculated as a half value. My Novorapid pen doesn't do half units so I usually just round up. Alternatively you could just keep your CP's as whole numbers by rounding. If you use wierd ratios though then I guess you could still end up with decimal points.

Time 18:51 22:41
CP 5.5 1.5
BG 7.3 5.0
QA 5.5 1.5-1
BI 16 -
Ratio (QA:CP) 1:1 1:1
QA Site - -
BI Site - -
Type DINNR BED
Ketones - -

The round corrections setting is for rounding your QA dose to the nearest mmol/l (either 0.5 or 1), not the other way around I think. I can't find a way to round the QA once it has been calculated.

Cheers

Annette Bell DAFNE Graduate
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
68 posts

To round the QA I just delete it & free type in whatever I want.