Updated iPod App issue

8 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

MarkR1962 DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
3 posts

I love the iPod App but the latest update has made the auto calculations unusable as I can no longer override the calculated value.
The update is taken but when I save the record it reverts to the calculated value.
Aside from the obvious this is poor because the App rounds to the nearest 0.5 units. I use whole units so so a value of 6.5 is no use to me.
Can we please have a setting that lets us specify the smallest units we inject (0.5 or 1.0)?
i'd hate to have to turn auto calculations off because of the latest changes.

...Mark

james_uk 2 posts

Hi,

I've only been using the App (iPhone) for a few days and am finding it very useful to record my results/carbs/insulin in one place.

However I've just looked into the forum to enquire about 'overiding' autocalculations just as Mark has posted. Tonight my BG was slightly high and required a small correction dose, which was all calculated and recorded fine, but I did another check an hour or so later and while my BG had begun to reduce the autocalculate recorded/suggested another dose of QA insulin (which wasn't required).

To work around this I had to disable the 'Auto-calculate QA' option, amend the dose to 0+0, re-save and then re-enable autocalculate.

I also use whole units so also agree being able to select a dose increment value or set a user chosen round up/down value would be very useful.

Hope this can be fixed soon.

Cheers,
James

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Hi both,

Sorry about this - it's an issue I missed in the latest release, I've now submitted a fix onto the app store and it should be available in the next few days.

Simon

james_uk 2 posts

HI Simon,

That's great news Smile looking forward to getting the update.

Thanks,
James

RobT DAFNE Graduate
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
7 posts

Hi Simon,
I use both the iPod and iPhone and had noticed that it was overriding my manual edits. Looking forward to the update.
In the update have you also taken account of the fact that if I have a hypo (say 2.5mmol/l) and give myself 1.2 CHO it should not automatically suggest a bolus injection to take account of the CHO eaten?
Additionally how do I enter a ratio of 2.8 CHO to 1 insulin ... Currently I have had to enter it as 1:0.5556 in your system as it does not allow me to enter values other than 1:<something>. I am only allowed to use 1 on the left side of the ratio!
Additionally, additionally (!) I use an half unit pen so need the auto calculate to give me 0.5 values. However, I have turned off the auto calculate because of the issues detailed above.
I am really pleased with what you have created and am happy to continue uploading my data to the system. I do hope that some researcher will make good use of them.
Once again, thanks for all the hard work - I am well aware of what you have to do as software engineering was my degree (1984!) and I still write code today ... All the best to you, Rob.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your praise - always nice to hear.

Next, the negative corrections that you mention are being worked on now - so won't be in this update but will be in the next.

You should be able to enter a ratio of 2.8:1 in the diary entry and specify targets screens, does this not work for you? What happens when you enter 2.8:1?

You'll also be getting the 0.5 unit correction values in the upcoming update Smile

Simon

RobT DAFNE Graduate
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
7 posts

Hi Simon,
Strange ... 2.8:1 and 2:1 now seem to be working in my iPad, have not tested the iPhone yet.
I am still not using the auto calculate facility because - (1) it overwrites any manual changes i make and substitutes its own valuez and (2) if I have a hypo and eat CHO it tries to suggest I take a bolus for the CHO!
It is a hassle to turn auto calculate off, perform the edit, then turn it on again. Especially as at the moment I am planning on adjusting my evening background insulin and so will not making a bed time correction - as I might go hypo if I add fast acting before I go to sleep.
However as I am aware that you are coding and trying your best to get it to work, I will be turning it on and off as I go! Please take this into account as I am assuming that this is not the normal mode of operation. So once you enable the facility to override individual entries - I.e. turn off auto calculate for individual entries - I will not have to turn it off and on.
Having thought further about this ...
Is it possible that the settings can be synchronised between my iPad and iPhone? I mean not just the auto calculate values but all the user configurations... I have manually set up the two devices and this is subject to human error when copying between the two. Technically I would expect that you should be able to upload a config to your server and give it a datetimestamp thus the latest version will be automatically downloaded into the mobile device. In the same way that diary entries are downloaded, but the difference being that it is automatically done rather than on request.
I have an android device, however I suspect that asking for full interoperability between apple and android is a big one, probably too big. I know what this means as trying to get different versions of the same issue of another well known pay for OS to be interoperable does not work most of the time! It is why I try and do projects using open source platforms. I have found that Linux is more interoperable between versions, and even diferent processors than the 'competition'!
If you want me to do specific tests or other stuff I am happy to help - you can contact me privately using the details on this system. I will in any event continue to provide you with, what I hope are useful comments and notes.
Best wishes, Rob.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Hi all - the override problems are now fixed in the latest version, available on the app store. Thanks for your patience in waiting for this fix.

Rob - regarding the settings, it may be that we can do something with iCloud to sync them, I'll do some investigation.