over injected

11 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Linda S123 8 posts

Help ! Ive made a mistake. I just injected 16 units if Novorapid instread of Levemir at bedtime. I should only have injected 2 units novorapid and 16 levemir ! Im going to blood test every hour and eat. Any more advice, and should I still do real levemir injection now ? How much should I eat ?

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I did a similar thing ONCE! The fear will help keep you awake and test and eat and test and eat. Ring someone to check on you in the morning. Good luck, Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Linda,
Are you OK?
Helen

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

That is a pain.................

I personally would match that insulin with carbs, so the higher ratio your on eg 3:1, the less CPs you will need........

Think of it as a midnight snack.......lol..............you will need to get carbs in at some point, so for me I would want to do that straight away, then go to bed...........and I would still take my Levemir also........

God luck.......... Very Happy

Linda S123 8 posts

Im fime, made it thru the night waking every 2 hours with the alarm to do test and as I had calculated the amount of extra units taken, I ate 6 cp's before bed and tested at 1 / 3/ /5/ /7 then got up ! I was high to start as I'd eaten a huge snack before bed but it was interesting to see how much it was dropping through the night. By 5am I was low and had to eat then. By the time I got up I was climbing again as I hadnt taken the levemir. was too scared ! Thanks for your support Razz

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

As I said I did it ONCE and it does scare you but you do have a lot of knowledge and experience which you bring to bear (and you obviously brought to bear) when coping with situations like this. It also tends to make you more alert regarding the fast acting stuff! Well done. Helen

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Well done in getting through the night unscathed........

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

Hi Linda,

I've done it too - once, as Helen says!

I did the same thing - matched the QA with corresponding carbs and kept testing and it all worked out OK. I used full sugar soft drinks (fortunately my husband had cans of Coke in the house) to make up most of the carbs as otherwise it's a bit hard to make up 120g carbs at 11pm!

Glad you're OK!

Melissa xx

Aneirin 15 posts

Same here. Though I wnet with normal acting carbs. Quick acting ones like a drink wine gums or anything trated for a hypo will go out the system to quickly and lead to it not doing much except make you higher to start off with. It's a pain, but bread/toast or something similar sounds like it would work best.

i.e. took 16 by mistake at night, on a one to one ratio at this time, so eat TEN slices of bread (my bread is 1.6 units, may)...maybe with eggs and beans so it's not as boring...or maybe something like some rice, chips if you have time. Something that acts normally.

Ten slices may sound like a lot and you may get a little bloated...and I may be wrong, but foods with a high glycemic index (which admittedly, would be much easier to eat due to not being as filling, such as sweets, drinks and what not) will not stay with you through the night. Guess the bloated feeling will teach not to inject too much insulin!

MelissaF DAFNE Graduate
South West Essex PCT
56 posts

You're absolutely right with a logical solution. However, I don't think that I would have been physically able to eat 10 slices of bread at 11pm after a large dinner so I was just trying to get carbs into me in a form that I was able to stomach. Maybe a couple of extra units would have been an additional safety precaution to make sure that I didn't drop too low overnight. I was waking myself up and testing as well though so I was able to keep an eye on it that way.

M xx