Cant stop BG Levels going up

18 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

DFH_17 DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
22 posts

Have been reading this thread with great interest and really need some advice.

Did the DAFNE course back in mid January and my BG levels were on the money and I was doing really well. Have been a bit worried as last week my BG's have started to go haywire - has been v stressful at work lately. I should explain I inject my Lantus before bed and originally was injecting 44 before DAFNE and am now taking 34BI. Ratios are 1:1 at breakfast and lunch and then 1:5:1 at dinnertime. I use Novorapid for my QA.

Reading have been as follows:-
Saturday - 8.9(b/fast), 6 cp's, QA6 +1 correction
5.7 (lunch), 8.5 cp's, QA8
12.8 (dinner), 5 cp's, QA8 +2 correction
12.0 (bedtime), no cp's, 34BI and no QA correction
12.5 (random test at 1am),

Today - 10.3 (b/fast), 6 cp's, QA6 + 2 correction
11.7 (lunch), 10.5 cp's, QA11 +2 correction
10.7 (dinner), 9 cp's, QA14 +2 correction

Am really worried as the correction's I'm doing dont seem to be working - this has been happening since Tuesday. The only changes have been a more stressful time at work and I've changed what I've been eating at lunctime - eating a lot less such as a salad and roll (about 2.5 cp's) whereas before I was eating (about 6.5 cp's).

I'm not sure if its the ratios that need to be changed or the BI needs to be less??

Any help would be v much appreciated.

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

hey.................I would recommend upping youe BI 2 units, see how that effects your BGs for a few days, you should see your corections coming down, and being more effective..............just keep pumping it up till you feel your going to low, then you can start on your QA.......

the more consecutive days you can get down the better, have a look at the online diary, you can post your results up an give other posters a better chance of interpreting your results........ Wink

DFH_17 DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
22 posts

Hi,

Thanks for giving the advice. Started on the higher amount of 36BI from 34BI 2 nights ago - BG's are still a little bit high but are gradually calming down. will see how it goes tomorrow as well. Have gone a bit low this evening so more than likely will need to have a go at the QA tomorrow.

Thats what I hope to get - has been better today - had 1 high reading today at lunch - jumped from 6,7 at breakfast to 12,2 at lunch :-( But by dinner had calmed down to 7.9. I'll see how it goes before sharing my results with all - am hoping it will keep going the way it should do.

Mega thanks for your help - have been really worried.

chrisg9 DAFNE Graduate
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
7 posts

Hi,
I kicked off this thread and interesting to see from yours that you mention stress. I know that sometimes this can be something of a "catch-all" to explain high BGs, so my observations here are purely regarding my own experience. During the DAFNE week, I mentioned that stress, being roller-coaster in nature, tended to lead both to consistently high BGs and, because of how it impacts the "working day", a likely drift from the DAFNE regime. I usually go from meeting to meeting and as currently the company is being acquired, its even worse; futures (along with eating and injections) are uncertain. As much as I try to stand back from all of this and calmly observe from a distance (i.e what will be, will be), it is simply not possible and BGs inevitably suffer - despite adjustments/corrections etc. My approach has been to try to introduce some non-work related activities (I may be having more of this than planned if the work situation goes belly-up) somewhere into the week to address the stress because if that's not under control (both biochemically and psychologically) the BGs wont ever be. Sorry, not very scientific I know... perhaps just more of a shared experience.
I hope it works out for you
Chris

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Sounds like a plan to me........ Idea.......fortunately in my life I haven't had to many stressful times so haven't really noticed an obvious effect but if definitely effects your BGs, or more precisely your resistance to insulin as a result of the abnormal levels of hormones swimming about when we are stressed out...........

DFH_17 DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
22 posts

Hi both,

novorapidboi - is interesting that you've said that stress leads to insulin resistance - it does feel as though my insulin isnt working v well so thats a good point. Have lots of stomach pains and last year had to go into hospital due to kidney stones due to covering 2 roles for over 6 mths.

Chris - my situation is slightly different in the fact that people I care about in the company are being potentially booted out of their jobs and not being treated well plus I had a situation all last week where I was being treated well by a few staff members - my boss intervened and sorted the situation out but am still stressed as I sit with these people! Plus 1 of my pals who has been a great support is leaving tomorrow so more upset. My BG's have calmed a bit but will need to hoik (sp) my BI again tonight as I'm still not quite there yet.
Thank you

DFH_17 DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
22 posts

Sorry - in 2nd paragraph meant to say I wasnt being treated very well by some colleagues.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

My understanding of resistance with regards to hormones, is that the main hormone responsible for this is the alpha cell secretion - Glucagon. This has the opposite effect against insulin and also contributes to the livers dump of glucose into the blood stream.

However when stressed glucagon may only be released in small amounts and with the help of other hormones released at this time, insulin effectiveness could be knocked out from normal behavior. Thats my basic understanding/theory of it anyway......... Smile