Difference in BG from different fingers!

17 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Paul Lyons
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
8 posts

I have found out tonight through chance that my BG readings from my left hand to right hand have actually differed by 1.6mmol!

I would imagine that I could expect a difference of +/- 5% perhaps but 6.1mmol on one finger and 7.7mmol on the other is very strange.

Later on this evening is has been 7mmol and 8.1mmol (left hand always measuring lower)

Any thoughts please?

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

No blood testing machines are 100% accurate (and the actual difference percentage is often so tiny and insignificant) so what you're probably seeing is just how the machine has interpreted your sugar levels from the sample(s). You're getting the same blood in both hands as well (at least I hope you are!) so I think it's very likely to be just the machine.

I wouldn't worry about it too much because of this. Smile

Jenny Spollen DAFNE Graduate
Regional Hospital Mullingar
13 posts

I have also noticed a similar trend over the years. I have no idea why this happens, but there can be a significant difference between the two hands on wide variety of meters.

Also, I have a vague memory of reading about this before in a paper/book way back but can't remember where/when....

All the advise I can give is, if in doubt don't forget to pay attention to what/how you are feeling because one hand may register the hypo/hyper that you are feeling while the other hand may not have yet come to the same conclusion so to speak

Tony 3 posts

I have this same problem, my right hand lower than left, I did ask my diabeties doctor about it but he changed the subject lol

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

I raised this issue with a "researcher" on a medical trial that I am on and her suggestion was that it could have something to do with the circulation system and the "distance' and the route that some blood flows...she suggested that someone try the right and left foot (well, toes on the right and left foot) and we may find that we get 4 different readings. I'll stick to my left hand, thanks! Helen

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I think we're over-thinking this way too much. I mean, there's other factors to consider when you do each blood test - such as hand washing (I mean, using a cleaning wipe is generally not recommended), as well as others such as the blood testing machine's tendency to not be 100% correct.

I find it fascinating that thread responders seem more interesting in finding excuses about their "body being strange" (in their machine's defence), rather than considering the possibility that your machine may be in need of a check up - especially if you find it happens regularly. How can you trust the machine with this going on?
If you're not aware, you can request testing solution from your machine's company so you can test that it's working properly.

Oh well. Good luck with this study.

SimonC DAFNE Graduate
NHS Harrow
78 posts

Just to echo JWo's post - I have 3 Optium Exceed machines (one a Boots branded one), they will all produce different results from the same drop of blood - up to 20% difference.

When I called the manufactures to query the results I was told that this was normal and within the permitted limits - they sent me test drops for low, and high sugar readings and they all still produced different results - I had to do the test over the phone with an operator - they decided the results were all acceptable and within the tolerances's set. I repeated the test later and got different results again, ie 1 machine wasn't always higher, they varied.

As long as I use the same machine, then the results will all be reliable - for that machine, and give me an indication of what my blood sugar levels are - they are only an indication, it is not an absolute.

My personnel view is that not only will the machine give different results for the same drop of blood - if you were able to test that, but your body and how it behaves is still a mystery and we are only getting an indication - not an absolute, when we do the test. The doctors and nurses know very little - obviously more than me, but they are not gods and have to make educated guesses based on indications. Some of the more enlightened will admit this, those that tell you they know and make absolute statements should be treated with some scepticism - I do.

Paul Lyons
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
8 posts

Thanks for your replies - it is true that the fault is with the machine accuracy and possibly down to normal circulation that results in the blood being 10 minutes or so out - which can be a big difference if the test is immediately after a hypo and there is a 1/3 rd of a bottle of lucozade inside me!

I have 2 new meters now so am going to see how the % difference on readings from these are - I wont think about it too much though!

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

The meters are never spot on, but they dont need to be I suppose............

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Following SimonC's post where he mentions Optium Exceed meter test solutions, as far as I remember!! the acceptable meter result range using the high solution is around 13 to 21 so that gives us a good idea of the error bound...which reminds me that I have not checked my meter for some time!
You are right....Don't worry about it