wound healing

20 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
Queensland Diabetes Centre, Brisbane, QLD
218 posts

OK update!
I saw the plastic surgeon today and have referrals to have both a sinogram and an ultrasound (probably on Monday or Tuesday next week). The sinogram involves putting dye into the "hole" and seeing how far it travels. The ultrasound tells the surgeon the nature of the surrounding tissue so that he can plan the surgery. Another appointment next Friday and then surgery probably before Christmas. Helen

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

good luck Helen. Its always better, I think, to know what that the problem is rather than the worry of not knowing. Hopefully these tests will help them to decide on the best course of action.

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

What reassured me was the fact that he was less enthusiastic about shooting the cause back to the diabetes/diabetic control. He talked about "anomalies", low grade infection at a critical time and said that the other 19cm had healed well in less than a week. Once things like this reach a certain stage it is very difficult to heal "naturally". He was happy that I did not have any pain and that there was no fever/chills etc. I am hoping for a small "healthy" sinus that can be dealt with in his surgery as a day patient! An early Christmas present. An ant farm will be more difficult! Helen

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Yes Helen, this doesn't sound like it was anything down to diabetes, just bad luck and hopefully it will be sorted soon. Simon

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Well, have I had an interesting day!

Had an ultrasound and sinogram and the radiologist (who also happened to be a surgeon doing a sub speciality) could only get a "yellow" cannula into the "hole". He found a sinus that was "6mL" and running just under the skin to the left of the "hole". Compared to a 10mL syringe that's not very big. He strongly advised me to return to my GP (he has sent a copy of his report to: the plastic surgeon (referring doctor), the original surgeon and the GP) before I discuss the results with the plastic surgeon next Friday as I may well get a different opinion. He described it as line ball and that I had to consider what I would achieve having the surgery.

I got the distinct impression that he would not touch it. The "hole" is almost closed over and once it does the body deals with the sinus differently. If there is "infection" there and as I have not had any antibiotics in over two months I seem to be dealing with it OK. He knew I was an insulin dependent diabetic but was not concerned about the possibility of the infection getting a hold if my BGs were OK.
They are and my TDD is back around what it was pre original surgery. Could be opening another can of worms!

Not sure what the GP will say but I believe he is very conservative. Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

GP not prepared to go out on a limb. Wants me to do what the Plastic Surgeon says! GP would be happy to wait for 6 weeks just to see if it closes over without intervention but basically is encouraging me to have it dealt with as it is nearly 6 months! There are differing opinions as to whether or not it has actually closed over. (The "yellow" cannula is very fine (26 gauge(?)). Not sure what I have to gain by having the surgery! What ever happens the hole I will get is bigger than the one I currently have! I am really tempted to leave well enough alone! Helen

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Further update. Went to the Plastic Surgeon, short discussion re hazards etc (original surgery not 100% successful!). He then asked to have a look and his comment was effectively that the "hole" was much improved and that he wanted to see me again on 1/12 to confirm that he will do the surgery on 14/12. So bottom line is I am booked in for the middle of December but if it has healed as much as it has in the last week (and if there has been no "leakage") he will not operate. Wish me well. Helen

Thanks Guys.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Best wishes and good luck HelenP!

Simon Heller DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
46 posts

Hi Helen. As a non-expert that seems a v sensible plan. These kind of wound problems can linger on but clearly giving it one final time to heal and avoid further surgery is v reasonable.
Hope it goes well, Simon

HelenP DAFNE Graduate
218 posts

Final update (I hope),

Just back from the plastic surgeon and the surgery scheduled for 14/12/10 has been cancelled!

He is happy to leave it but has requested I keep an eye on it as it is still probably the weakest section of the scar and if it erupts, volcano like (my term not his), I am to go back and see him!

I go back and see the original surgeon in the first half of January and he will check it then also. The plastic surgeon will send a report to the original surgeon.

All over Red Rover!

Thanks, Helen.