ratio calculator

11 posts, 2 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Kordula B DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
6 posts

please where can I find the ratio calculator sheet - thought it was in the hand book but isn't?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

ratio calcualtor?

never heard of it, are you looking for something to calculate your dose by simply adding a carb value..?

Kordula B DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
ratio calcualtor?

never heard of it, are you looking for something to calculate your dose by simply adding a carb value..?

CALCULATE
if your ratio is 1 : 2 - you take 2 IU insulin for each CP

if your ratio is 1.5 : 1 you take 1.5 IU insulin for each CP

Seems I need to make my own - I take more insulin a.m. ( dawn phenomenon ) and trying out ratios - so a little card would help ( I AM LAZY / busy )
rest of the day 1 : 1 - so that is easier

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Well, everyone is different and that's what the DAFNE approach allows you to do, work it out, once you know it, then you can remember it....I was on 3:1 in the morning when injecting....are you high at lunch then...?...

Kordula B DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

yes - even without food!
example - had a test requiring no food for 7 hours -
so no breakfast - just BI - BG 6.8 mmol - 0 QA
at 11 o'clock BG 11.5 mmol !! ( needed correcting QAI)

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

You have just described a basal test where you go meal free to establish of you BI insulin is holding you steady...

Those results suggest not, so its time to up your background.... What are you on and when?

Kordula B DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

you are right - having a carb-free day is used for that. - I take 7.5 IU a.m - any more and I end up hypo around 3 o'clock; this is why having a different ratio at different times of the day is another way of keeping within limits despite the diurnal rhythm of various hormones involved in BG levels and regulation:
Corticosteroid levels are generally lower at night and higher during the day - especially the morning
. cortisol promotes lipid and protein breakdown and synthesis of of glucose from amino acids ( protein) Uptake of glucose by muscle and adipose tissue decreases.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Wow, very technical lol...

Your Bi should hold you steady, once that's right you can look at your QA, using DAFNE principles, high at lunch then up your breakfast ratio, high at dinner up your lunch and so on... Only do one meal at a time

Kordula B DAFNE Graduate
6 posts

indeed - YOU: "high at lunch then up your breakfast ratio"
ME: from 1 : 1 to 1.5 : 1
hence it would be SOOOO good to have the calculator which helps me for the ONE MEAL at a time, calculate quickly how much 1.5 : 1 means for that pot of mango sticks, the half slice rye bread - it is time consuming enough collecting all the label info. ...!
Have a good weekend
- for breakfast tomorrow I will use 1 :1 because I shall cycle to the wood, fell some trees (bow saws for volunteers) and help make a bonfire - then we can cook spuds and vegeburgers in the cinders.
If I used 1.5 : 1 ratio I would end up hypo at 12.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

If your doing physical activity that isn't a daily occurrence then you should reduce basal, unfortunately working out what a higher ratio means in terms of final dose has to be done manually... Going from 1:1 to 1.5:1 isn't that difficult, a 60g meal at 6 units would be 9 units instead....once you test the new ratio to work good, you can move on..its wise to keep a written record when your working out ratios...do you record it..