Struggling with emotions

13 posts, 7 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sharon doodle DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
15 posts

Hi, it seems like the DAFNE course has opened a can of worms for me. I have lots of undealt with gremlins. Gas anyone else found this? I'm going to follow it up with my gp, but I'm just wondering if there is support out there for us?

Amanda1 DAFNE Graduate
Bromley Healthcare CIC
1 post

How long have you been diabetic & was this the first DAFNE course you have been on?
I found when I was first diagnosed I had a lot of issues with emotions mainly anger & sometimes tearful, especially once I had attended DAFNE as I felt such a failure. But a year on & things are much better. It's true when they say having the knowledge helps to make things easier to manage diabetes. I found going to see my diabetic nurse & talking helped as GP's don't always have the knowledge or the time & I didn't want to be given anti-depressants.
I hope you find the help you need & wish you all the best.

Sharon doodle DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
15 posts

I've been diabetic for 30 years. I think because I was 6 when I was diagnosed, I was very confused, frightened, isolated and in a way kept in the dark by my parents.

The DAFNE course helped me understand better, but I feel I have issues I need to deal with. If anyone feels anything similar and would like to message me, I would be grateful x

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, NSW
34 posts

Hi Sharon,

I was going through some discussions that were posted on the forum and your topic got my attention.

I truly believe that most if not all diabetic people especially type one, experienced the same emotional feelings as you did. It is very normal. When I was diagnosed in 1999, I had very little knowledge about the condition. The more I learned about it the more I was depressed. Lots of things in my life changed or were effected since then. But fortunately I had lots of family support and also I was strong enough to accept and live my life just like a normal person.....well almost. DAFNE was great opportunity for me to learn heaps, to meet other people with the same condition, to communicate with wonderful educators and to share knowledge and experiences.

You can always talk to your educators regarding your feelings or diabetic or any other issues that are related, they are great support.

Cheers

Muna Very Happy

glen4 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
46 posts

I've been a type 1 diabetic for nearly 30 years. I was diagnosed in 1985. I was 5 years old. I had a very strict + rather 1 dimensional upbringing/outlook on it! I wish I had done Dafne or had something similar or support from HCP's when I was a younger child! Instead of being kept in the dark feeling isolated, sorry for myself! It would've saved many problems over the years + made me more confident + outgoing! Even though I've attended Dafne + now have the control back in my grasp- I still put up a barrier + appear hostile! Sad

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Hi glen4,

I really try to view type one diabetic positively rather than negatively because if I think about it negatively I will live unhealthy life. I think we are lucky enough to have the proper treatment to manage our type one diabetic where we can expect to live healthier lives than diabetic people did in the past where they had no treatment at all.

Cheers
Muna Wink

glen4 DAFNE Graduate
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
46 posts

Yeah, but it's hard to change overnight! Surprised

Muna A H DAFNE Graduate
34 posts

Yes I agree, it is hard to change overnight, but also never too late to change. You are still young Smile

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

I noticed a few months back that the guidelines for treating newly diagnosed diabetics now include considering the psychological element alongside the insulin etc. I think there are an awful lot of us that have never had any treatment or even discussion on how we are affected emotionally by our diabetes, you're far from alone Muna. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your GP/nurse you could try the Diabetes UK Careline https://www.diabetes.org.uk/careline

BeccyB DAFNE Graduate
NHS Birmingham East and North
50 posts

I noticed a few months back that the guidelines for treating newly diagnosed diabetics now include considering the psychological element alongside the insulin etc. I think there are an awful lot of us that have never had any treatment or even discussion on how we are affected emotionally by our diabetes, you're far from alone Muna. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your GP/nurse you could try the Diabetes UK Careline https://www.diabetes.org.uk/careline