Think my Novorapid is too slow!

18 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

That is a valid risk and one that needs to be factored in of course....if you had a habit of not finishing a meal then you could consider smaller portions....as for fire alarm situations....its good practice to have hypo resolve to hand at all times....

Its all about trial and error and weighing up the risks personal to you....

In this situation having 19 and 20s in my opinion wouldn't be good enough....I feel really bad at those levels....but dome may be OK and wouldn't see a significant effect on long term blood sugars.... Don't forget about complications that come with yo yoing BG...

;)

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
St Vincent's Healthcare Group
99 posts

Had a chinese meal last night. I was 10.1 so matched up the carbs with the qa plus the +1 correction. Exactly four hours later my reading was 5.9. Happy out with that and went to bed. Up at 6am and my blood read 16.6, totally frustrated to say the least. Had my breakfast and corrected and fine now. Still myself and chinese food don't seem to like each other any time we meet.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

what did you have for the chinese........?

its would seem like a classic sign of delayed digestion due to high fat content maybe...........which would warrant a split dose.......

pumpers can use the dual wave or square wave bolus where all or some of the dose is delivered over a set time......

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
what did you have for the chinese........?

its would seem like a classic sign of delayed digestion due to high fat content maybe...........which would warrant a split dose.......

pumpers can use the dual wave or square wave bolus where all or some of the dose is delivered over a set time......

I had some sweet and sour chicken balls with boiled rice, prawn toast and chicken satay scewers. Weighed everything so fairly sure cp's and matching qa were correct.

By split dose do you mean half the qa dose before and then the other half three hours afterwards?

Thanks.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Maybe not three hours afterwards, maybe an hour to an hour and a half.............

However, it will be different for everyone, so will need to be tested out a few times........ Smile

Also, the ratio of split can be played with also.......so 25% up front, the remaining after........but its good to start with a 50/50 split in the beginning.......

For me personally a take away is a treat and so if I don't pin the dose down perfectly it doesn't really matter......that's my logic anyway..... Cool

Rafa DAFNE Graduate
99 posts

novorapidboi26 said:
Maybe not three hours afterwards, maybe an hour to an hour and a half.............

However, it will be different for everyone, so will need to be tested out a few times........ Smile

Also, the ratio of split can be played with also.......so 25% up front, the remaining after........but its good to start with a 50/50 split in the beginning.......

For me personally a take away is a treat and so if I don't pin the dose down perfectly it doesn't really matter......that's my logic anyway..... Cool

Thanks a lot. Wouldn't eat many myself either.

Vickyp DAFNE Graduate
County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
137 posts

I have delayed highs after Chinese too, now on the pump I extend the bolus which helps. But like novorapidboi I see a takeaway as a treat so don't worry too much about getting the dose perfectly right.

dunkers7 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
24 posts

Sheila, do you use Background Insulin? I wonder if you could be taking too much BI but not enough QA?

Could maybe try a carb free meal to check?

If taking too much BI but not enough QA, I would be expected that you to see rising blood glucose after meals, followed by a steady drop?

I ask because I now know I have been taking too much BI and am seeing similar behaviour. Also now starting to see I'll need a QA:CP ratio change as the BI drops.