Regular email with synopsis of all changes: posts, news, handbook updates etc...

9 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

SA2010 DAFNE Graduate
University College London Hospitals (UCLH)
69 posts

Thanks Simon for putting the "My Subscribed Topics" feature so quickly !

I am just thinking that may be this area could be explored further. We receive so much stuff from web sites that we subscribe to, most of it is really junk but for DAFNE Online I can say that everything on the forums is very relevant and I would love to read it all. At the moment I only see new posts and new topics when I go to DAFNE Online and like some other members I sometimes have a few months break before coming back to DAFNE online.

I personally would not mind subscribing to everything on DAFNE Online and I mean everything - but I would not want to receive hundreds of emails every week.

Something for you to think about. Perhaps an automated weekly facility emailing those that want it everything that has been added or changed on the web site - posts, news, CP List additions and changes, DAFNE Handbook changes. Everything is relevant to us,

Simon

SA2010 DAFNE Graduate
69 posts

Hi

I presume this is not feasible !

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

Hi, generally when suggestions are made we see what support they receive. We are just two people doing the site in our spare time with finite resources, therefore if you don't get a response its not necessarily that its not feasible, merely that we are waiting to see what the demand is for a feature, If it is something we think we should do there will still be a delay for us to actually implement it.

In theory your idea sounds simple, however its not, not all changes to the site are date tracked and so pooling them together for an email is not that straight forward. Also the emails could potentially be quite large in some cases causing issues with delivery. This would create a lot more admin for us. So at them moment its unlikely to happen unless their is more demand for it.

SA2010 DAFNE Graduate
69 posts

Thanks for the feedback mark.

I guess I was a bit naiive thinking it just needed you to think that it would be useful. I have changed the topic text to give an indication of what this is about. Before it was cryptic and really just aimed for you.

With the change I would guarantee more participation from members and that s a good thing for everyone

Thanks

Simon

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

Maybe rather than an email we could do a section with 'recent updates' - expanding the current recent posts bit?

// Tech speak starts

Most records on the site have an updated_at field so we could do something with that?

// Tech speak ends

SA2010 DAFNE Graduate
69 posts

Thanks Simon but that defeats the object of knowing what has happened without actually remembering to go to the site

For months I do not login to Dafne Online and whenever I login I find relevant and useful stuff

I would prefer a feed that comes to me rather than me having to go and look for it. But doing what you suggest could be phase 1 of what I am after. Phase 2 would be introducing the setting for each user to indicate if the updates list/summary/detail should be emailed or not and if weekly or daily and remembering when last feed was made.

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Ah I see - when you say feed do you mean an email or an RSS-like feed which you can subscribe to?

SA2010 DAFNE Graduate
69 posts

words - again ! sorry.

I do not mean feed as in RSS.

I do mean email because I do not often look at RSS feeds but I do always read emails

Simon Site Administrator
578 posts

Understood Smile