glucogel

12 posts, 6 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

tsavage1990
North Cheshire Hospital Trust
11 posts

hey

im continually miscalculating how much carbohydrate is actually in a tube of glucogel, can anyone confirm its CP value? how close to 2.5 is it?

Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

If this site is what you mean http://www.hyposite.co.uk/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=GEL002E - not very - its 1 CP

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Do you find this effective, is it not easier to drink sugary juice or lucozade............

tsavage1990
North Cheshire Hospital Trust
11 posts

i take glucogel when my hypos more severe or when i dont trust myself not to just spill lucozade everywhere. thanks

Carolin DAFNE HCP
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
83 posts

Hi,

There's only 9g (1 CP) glucose in 1 of the 'single dose' tubes of GlucoGel, therefore to treat your hypo with the recommended 1.5 - 2 CPs rapid acting carbohydrate you would need to take 2 tubes!

Carolin

Robby N. DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
7 posts

I have just graduated from my Dafne course, I find 3 jelly babies (1.5 CP) is better and much better tasting than Glucgel, also you can't spill jelly babies.

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I am a jelly baby man myself, I think that DAFNE has turned alot of folk towards using jelly babies.................their tasty, and do the job......

DFH_17 DAFNE Graduate
Croydon NHS
22 posts

I tend to have a mini can of Coke and that works perfect for me. I did try the 3 jelly babies and nothing happened after the recommended 10 mins waiting time - in fact my bg went lower - was a bit disappointed they didnt work but there you go :-)

Robby N. DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
7 posts

just goes to show everybody is different

NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

I think that the jelly babies would have worked as they have same amount of glucose as the coke, its just the circumstance of the hypo could have been different and the rate of drop changes the rules too, I have often found myself having 3 sets of jelly babies on a day following alcohol, as my BGs were dropping very rapidly...........

The best stuff is the juice, for speed anyway.......