think I am getting there

16 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

grandma carol DAFNE Graduate
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
61 posts
[Shared diary only visible when logged in]

well I have got my BI down to 11 now from 18 and have been ok for 4 nights the days started to go up agen but left it untill today and put breakfast ratio up but I was low agen last noght so will have to drop BI agen tonight.Hope I am doing this right but feel better than I did. Getting the blood moniter on on the 3rd Dec.Any help would be greatfull I think Im getting there.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Looks like you're slowly getting there... you are showing signs of patterns!

Try not to add corrections during the next 24 hours after a hypo though - your body needs time to recover and you're more prone to hypos if you do correct during that time.

See how you go. Good luck Grandma! Smile

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Looks like you are making some progress.........

try and remember to give your background doses a chance, even if its really obvious its sent you low overnight......lantus is a pain....

61 posts

Thank you both and just when you think that you are getting there something else happens. Well last night I was 3.9 at 19.00 so had some jelly beans and at 20.00 2.9 had some more 20.45 3.2 then dont remember anything untill 22.00 when hubby had given me Gluco Gel I then had coffee with biscuits at 23.00 BGs 8.0 so went to bed. This morning BGs 8.9 thought thats ok with what Id had last night then by 9.30 BGs 21.9 and 12.30 14.5 think your right JWo might have to keep a eye on the corections. But I have done them today at dinner time. AND novorapidi26 this Lantus is just getting to me now. So today I gess Im just goint to be high as long as it dosent stay there Ill have to work at it. THANKS

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Try your best to get everything written down Grandma... it'll help you when you need the memory jog.

Your typed post isn't as clear to understand as your first post unfortunately. Sad

You should not be correcting at all after a hypo Grandma - it will only lead to more hypos - and you'll never break the chain of your sugar levels going up and down if you continue to correct... Your BI is what should be bringing your highs down after a hypo - not your QA. If you have too much BI, and the hypos continue - you know for sure it is the BI, okay? So put it down accordingly.

If you also check your blood 5 minutes after each hypo if you're still not feeling right - or perhaps even if you are - this will help prevent the multiple hypos. If you're still hypo, give yourself another hypo treatment and repeat the testing as necessary.

Go have a look at your guidebook about hypos, okay? If you don't have it to hand, look at the one avaliable on this website (link is in the small listing on the top right of the website page).

You say you were 21 BG at 9.30am on your second post. I would not be surprised if you have possibly hypo'd in the night to cause this drastic rise. Sad

Also, it may be a good idea for you to contact your DAFNE team if you're needing urgent assistance (you cannot remember what happened which suggests loss of stable conscious) from your hubby with these hypos. You sound unstable from what I can make out which is very very worrying. Sad

Keep working hard to resolve those hypos FIRST - remember, one step at a time - you can't do everything at once.
Use your guidebook as well - it can bring things back into focus.

Good luck!

61 posts

Thank you JWo I have been writing everything down and everything that I eat as well so that I can show them when I go back to get the Continous Glucose Monitor fitted on the 3rd Dec. Dont think that it was a hypo in the night as when I went to bed I was 8.0 andat 6.30 was 8.2 7.30 8.9 then had breakfast. That was branflakes 30g milk and 1 slice of multigrain bread toasted 44g so worked it out as 4.5 CP and I am on 2:1 ratio so had 9 QA Have been tacking BGs 2 hours after and thats when it was 21.9 at 9.30 I was high all day. Sorry about the poast as I cannot do much on a computer and it takes me ages. But I will keep at it. I am botherd about droping my BI as low as it is because when I was on DAFNE and told to drop it thats when my BGs were high all the time and I was very ill with it I never had bad controle before never high like I have been having and I dont like it.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

-- Edited then because of response, removed to save on confusion. See my next post in thread for my response --

61 posts

Thank you JWo I will keep trying hopfully Ill get there soon. The Monitor is something that is put on your arm and it takes blood every 10 min. and I think it is on for a week. Then thediabetic nurse said that she downloads it to see what is going on and will beable to tell me what is the best things to do. Ill let you know how it goes. THANKS

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
587 posts

Ah! I've edited my response, but thanks for clarifying what the monitor was. Smile I was offered that once too - didn't end up taking it up though!

I'll paste my edited response here so you see it:

The reason I said about not ruling out the possibility of a over night hypo is - all your blood tests are being done when you've taken more QA insulin.
You have not done any during night tests to prove you have not hypo'd during the night.

If you do a check during the night when only your BI is working you'll get a better picture of what your BI does - if you hypo, you know for definite that it's too much and highs after a over night hypo do not necessarily show up when you wake up first thing.

Aim to resolve the hypoing problem first and see how you go with results. You're correcting way too often to be getting a good idea of patterns because of the hypos in response to the corrections.

In short, your BGs are "boomeranging" up and down. You need to stop this. I know it's a hard habit to break but it's worth it - seriously!

61 posts

I have been checking over night at 2.00 or 3.00 everynight and that is when I have but BI down when BGs have been in the 3.7 3.5 I am now down to 10 from 18 but now I am high all day for the past 2 days since I droped it to 10 Ill just leave it as it is for a few days well as long as I dont go low through night it has only been 2 days see what happens. THANKS