Job Hunting

13 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

charlotte77 DAFNE Graduate
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
11 posts

Apologies if I've opened a can of worms.

I completely agree - I have never and will never disclose my diabetes to employers through the recruitment process. As to whether diabetes is a disability - I don't consider it to be - but the leglislation is designed in such a way that the decision is an individual one. From a purist legal view the condition does fit the criteria - but that's a different debate altogether!

As to whether or not medicals are required that very much depends on the organisation you work for - my organisation uses Occupational Health for health clearances for ALL posts. This will change in the new legislation. - As to what medics will disclose its what the individual will allow to be released and rightly so.

As to what can be disclosed in references that very much depends on your organisation - the absoloutely critical thing is that recruiting managers do not have health information throughout the decision making process irrespective of condition or health background

bangers DAFNE Graduate
Frankston Hospital (Peninsula Health), Victoria
6 posts

I also would not disclose my diabetes to a prospective employer - however once employed I would let maybe the OH&S manager, First Aid Officer, Direct Manager know in case of an emergency. That way you are not being judges against but you are not putting yourself at risk.

Paul

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

I've always been told that it makes you more likely to get an interview if you do declare you're a diabetic, so I've never held it back whenever I've applied for a job. I think it's very irresponsible not to tell them - I mean, what if you hypo'd in the middle of the interview? XD

Not had any issues yet myself, but then again, I've haven't been in a private sector job long enough to know this was even an issue with this - though when I have applied, I've always declared with no problems. I've definitely never had any issues in the public sector, so I'm assuming these concerns mostly exist in the private sector considering the good attitude the public sector has shown towards people like me.