Please sing to the tune of "How do you like your eggs in the Morning?"

14 posts, 11 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

PNThompson DAFNE Graduate
North East London NHS Foundation Trust (Havering and Redbridge)
57 posts

I used to be one who only used a couple of injection sites as it was only two injections a day, and it was easier.
I later discovered the problems when I had a lot of difficulty in controlling my blood sugars.
Even prior to DAFNE, I learnt to rotate the sites, and didn't reuse the same needle, though I had felt one needle a day wasn't over using the same needle.

I have never left the needle on the pen, unless I needed to take the pen on its own at lunchtime, etc.

I still disagree with the professionals at the hospital on injection sites, and i'll admit that I don't always keep the needle in my arm, leg, etc long enough.

Any topic which generates different views is good news and should be covered somewhere within the forum as it may provide somebody with another view that benefits them!

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

Good thread! I think that it would be really useful to have some rather more extensive guidelines/advice re. injecting than seem to be available at present, although I know that one of the difficulties is that we're all different and one size won't fit all. It wasn't until I did my DAFNE course that anyone inspected my injection sites, and I discovered what "lipos" are (I had them on my thighs from night-time Lantus injections). What I learned from DAFNE also pursuaded me to only use a needle once. Like others responding to this thread, although I like to think that I rotate my injection sites, I don't do it in any way systematically - what would a good "system" look like? I now have a new consultant, and she actually asks to see my injection sites at my annual review - a bit of a surprise, since I switched my Lantus injections to my buttocks...

Stew

LauraH DAFNE Graduate
NHS Grampian
6 posts

I'm a fairly new diabetic, diagnosed about 2 years ago. I was taught never to reuse needles, and I never have, same with leaving a needle on the pen. I think having a reason why to do something or not to do something is the biggest motivating factor for me. I completely understand why I shouldn't reuse needles, so I don't.

I honestly thought, until I read this, that "site rotation" and randomly moving injection sites were the same thing! In answer to that, I clearly don't rotate properly, I pick a new site randomly each time, and I know which places hurt most, so I avoid them.

Also didn't know what lipos were until reading this. My injection sites have been checked once, during the Dafne course, and I understand now that's what they must have been looking for.

I would really welcome this being discussed at clinic appointments, it would give some reassurance. I really enjoyed discussing all these things on the Dafne course. I don't feel particularly sensitive about the subject, although everyone is different, but it would need some tact on the part of the doctor. I would like my doctor to speak to me like an equal, acknowledging that you are health professionals doing this all day every day as part of your job, but that we have a practical knowledge of living with the condition. I don't mind being told I'm doing something wrong, but I don't want to be 'told off' as I have been in the past.

Good idea to discuss this, I think it's definitely needed!

addie
Northumbria Healthcare Trust
13 posts

Excellent thread!

got me analysing what I did at injection time again and realised I have become a wee biot lazt regarding reusing needles a couple of times, not rotating injection sites enough and generally being lazy!

Thanks for this thread it is a very good topic!