Anyone else having problems obtaining BG Test strips from their GP?

24 posts, 8 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

vic demain DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
87 posts

Credit where it is due, I got my prescription changed from one box of fifty to three boxes last week and all done by the chemist.

Garry DAFNE Graduate
North Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust
328 posts

Perhaps it may help if you explain to your GP the cost benefit of the DAFNE testing regime.
Tell your GP...never mind how much he/her is spending on test strips....just look at how much you are saving in insulin consumption with better control!
I have just checked using my online diary and find that my average consumption is 160 strips a month and have reduced my insulin intake since graduating from 3960u per month to 2280u. Just look at those savings GP!
I'm lucky. At my surgery I am supplied with whatever I ask for.
However, if ever challenged about my consumption of strips I would have no concerns in fronting the doctor out on the matter and I don't believe any of us should be worried. The GP is there to provide you with a good service and must supply a consumable off the prescribed list in whatever volume is necessary.
No doubt some strips are cheaper than others and you may need negociate with your GP into supplying another brand of meter to use cheaper strips but you should not allow your treatment to be compromised.

Anil DAFNE Graduate
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
39 posts

Hi guys,
I spoke to my DAFNE instructors today, and were really helpful, they said they would look into it and speak to my GP about increasing my Test Strips.
Hopefully this will help, otherwise they informed me to file a official complaint, I was trying to avoid this, but it may be the only way to move forward.
Anyway, If anyone else is having this problem, see if you DAFNE instructors can help, otherwise file a official complaint, (Ask your GP for the necessary forms and/or telephone number(s))
By the looks of it, this is only a problem with MY GP, due to the fact nobody else has had any problems like this across the country.

Thanks for the Fantastic Response!! (Everyone!)

Sam DAFNE Graduate
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
64 posts

Well saw my GP on Monday and nothing was said in terms of how much I was using. The message on my prescription was merley a message to review as they do with all patients. They asked me how I was getting on which was quite nice them. I went to the practice a few months ago to talk to their students about DAFNE and my experience, think they gained alot as I spent more time talking to my GP about DAFNE lol!
I did raise a question to her as my needles has been changed to a "cheaper" version. She assures me it was not at thier end and more the chemist, perhaps they ran out of my novo fine needles. These cheap ones are crap, they leak, hurt and leave bruises..no joke. So I'll be sending in another script to get the proper ones!!

Sam