Karl DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
83 posts

Hi

http://www.friouk.com/ is a great start

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

I second Karl's link to frio - they are fantastic bits of kit. You can fold them up when not in use (the crystals inside dry up in a couple of days) and they are great at keeping insulin cool. As they only require water to activate you can even top them up when out and about (I used drinking water fountains in Germany, worked fine).

Well worth it for the fifteen quid I spent on it 15 years ago.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Site Administrator
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
578 posts

I meant I bought it 4 years ago, not 15 Smile

Stew B DAFNE Graduate
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
125 posts

I've just come back from a bird-watching holiday in Spain, where in the steppe area near a place called Belchite the temperature peaked at 41 deg! We were camping, so my insulin was in the car all day (resembled an oven when we returned to it!). I used a Frio bag (as I have for several years) and my insulin came to no harm - happy to recommend it. Because of the rules about putting liquids in a clear plastic bag I didn't "activate" the bag until we arrived at our first camp site.
Stew

susieh DAFNE Graduate
Medway Community Healthcare
3 posts

Hi
I can also recommend the Frio bags. I use them whenever I travel abroad - to hot or cold places - because they keep insulin at a consistent temperature. Unlike Stew, I have to admit that I have never put my insulin in the plastic bags when flying. I use the Frio bags and just tell the checkin people and airport security that I'm carrying insulin and needles and it's never been a problem. (And I also carry a letter from my GP with my passport that confirms I'm insulin dependent.) It all helps to avoid hassell when you're off for a spot of rest & rehab!

EMS
St Columcille's, Dublin
15 posts

Hi there,
I've had type 1 for eight years now. I've never had any big problems with security checks, but i always make sure to put everything into the plastic bag. the only time i've ever been questioned was on a recent trip to new york (extra security checks before getting on the plane) and, although i didn't have the doctor's letter, my explaination was accepted without too much trouble.
as to temperature issues, i wouldn't worry too much; we take a couple of sun holidays every year and it's never occured to me to get a cold bag for travelling, so far i haven't noticed any problems keeping the insulin in my beach bag or in the hotel room.
Enjoy your holiday!
Elli

meltow DAFNE Graduate
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
78 posts

Frio it is for me too. Not only do they keep the insulin at a constant cool temperature, but once the crystals expand they act as a cushion against any rough treatment of insulin pen or insulin cartidges. I do quite a lot of backpacking, usually in the UK but occasionally abroad, and the various Frio products I have, certainly have longevity, and have never failed me. I bought them at least 9 years ago and they are still going strong. Needless to say, I have never had to try any other similar products on the market.