Libre

17 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

Kamil said:
For me Libre was the best thing that happened to my diabetes management. Before Libre my HbA1c was 86 ( 10.0%) and now it's 60 ( 7.6). This is after 9 months of Libre; and I hope to get to 6.5-6.8 within next few months. I just finished my DAFNE course and Libre was very helpful with seeing my trend overnight, how quickly my insulin works for etc. In terms of Libre , I think it's very personal as some people find differences to be bigger then others and some people don't like or trust new technologies. Personally I love it and I can't imagine a day without it.

Would you say the overnight basal needs was the most significant bit of information you got from it.......how did that information effect your dose adjustment...?

Kamil DAFNE Graduate
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MRI and NMG)
3 posts

novorapidboi26 said:

Kamil said:
For me Libre was the best thing that happened to my diabetes management. Before Libre my HbA1c was 86 ( 10.0%) and now it's 60 ( 7.6). This is after 9 months of Libre; and I hope to get to 6.5-6.8 within next few months. I just finished my DAFNE course and Libre was very helpful with seeing my trend overnight, how quickly my insulin works for etc. In terms of Libre , I think it's very personal as some people find differences to be bigger then others and some people don't like or trust new technologies. Personally I love it and I can't imagine a day without it.

Would you say the overnight basal needs was the most significant bit of information you got from it.......how did that information effect your dose adjustment...?

i dont know if you are referring to libre in general or dafne. In terms of libre, it was adjusting my ratios and corrections as for example after breakfast my sugar level would stay at 11 and wouldn't decrease further so libre showed that corrections need increasing. also with basal it showed me that i have this dawn phenomenon and that increasing my basel will result in more hypos ( which did happen before libre ).
In terms of dafne, it was a bit tougher as DAFNE tells you to test 4 times a day and not to correct in between meals and i was doing something crazy like 30 scans before dafne so my diary was full and it was harder to see the pathen so i rewrote it. However, it was very usuful when increasing my background to see 24 h picture of my sugars and to see which basal needs increasing. i hope that answers your question

marke Site Administrator
South East Kent PCT
675 posts

woah there a minute, the Libre doesn't show you accurate BG so using it as the basis to make corrections is potentially dangerous. It measures inter-cell fluid BG NOT blood BG and so is only a 'guide' . Whilst I agree that it would be concerning if your BG appears to stay at 11. You should do a normal BG test and base it on that. We can have too much information and make too many corrections based on this information. Easy to say I know, also easy to say but my cure for all this was a pump an advantage that I know NovarapidBoi also has. Unofrtunately getting them is a post code lottery. Hover if you get the chance , grab it as I believe they make a huge difference.

Kamil DAFNE Graduate
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MRI and NMG)
3 posts

marke said:
woah there a minute, the Libre doesn't show you accurate BG so using it as the basis to make corrections is potentially dangerous. It measures inter-cell fluid BG NOT blood BG and so is only a 'guide' . Whilst I agree that it would be concerning if your BG appears to stay at 11. You should do a normal BG test and base it on that. We can have too much information and make too many corrections based on this information. Easy to say I know, also easy to say but my cure for all this was a pump an advantage that I know NovarapidBoi also has. Unofrtunately getting them is a post code lottery. Hover if you get the chance , grab it as I believe they make a huge difference.

thank you. i know that it accuracy depends on a individual . i have tested it number of times and its always within 0.2 mmols unless im hypo which in my opinion is accurate enough to make decisions about corrections at meal time. but i will take your advice in the future

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
587 posts

Yeah, the inaccuracy of the Libre is why you can't use a result from it for before driving. Stay safe.

wigworld DAFNE Graduate
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
19 posts

I use Libre (and BG testing when I'm driving), and it's incredibly helpful in helping me adjust my BI. I can't help wondering how many people are using it who've never done a DAFNE (or similar) course, and have no idea what to do with all the data Libre generates?

novorapidboi26 DAFNE Graduate
NHS Lanarkshire
1,819 posts

wigworld said:
I use Libre (and BG testing when I'm driving), and it's incredibly helpful in helping me adjust my BI. I can't help wondering how many people are using it who've never done a DAFNE (or similar) course, and have no idea what to do with all the data Libre generates?

I would be interested to see those statistics too.....

For most people I its the convenience of it......

Good for parents to scan when their child is sleeping, thats another plus point...